Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For every commy owner bet ya see this?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
what were peoples choices on things to scrub with, i have got the nulon carby cleaner and what not, just wondering what others used to actually scrub with on the plenum, as a toothbrush wouldnt cut it

go to repco, bursons or autobarn.... pay $6 for a set of 3 cleaning brushes, two are wire and ones stiff bristle, carby cleaner and upper cylinder cleaner works a treat for cleaning carbon out with these brushes

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
the carbon deposits, i used a flat heat to get rid of the major grime. Then uses a very very very fine wet n dry stand paper to get the discolouring and last bits off. Mind you its a lot easier to remove it ::)

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Might be worthwhile investigating "Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner" if you wanted the same result with a lot less hassle. The stuff comes in an aerosol type can and you just spray it either through the TB or disconnect a vacuum line attached to the plenum and spray it in.

It's meant to be the equivalent of the well known Seafoam product so I've heard.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
This is one of the projects I have earmarked for the Easter long weekend. Tdirago's how to is good and a funny read, so will go with that.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
So I just got in and did this. I didn't have time to pull the plenum right off, so just did as per this thread and stuffed paper towel in the holes.

I gotta say, the difference is amazing. I've got 237,000kms on the clock and the plenum cover has never been off before. There was over 2mm thick gunk all over. Glad I did this. Next holidays I'm going to take the plenum right off and give the insides a good buff.

Well worth the effort.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
did you know that you can spray the carby cleaner into the throttle body while the engine is running? then it sucks it down into the runners, over the injector tips, into the head ports, and the tops of the valves? also, putting in nulon fuel system cleaner (the one in the metal tin, part# WFS) will do a similar job of the whole fuel system again including the ports and tops of the valves.

just incase you didnt know as it saves ripping the plenum apart for the same result.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
i did mine today including putting in a mace 25mm manifold spacer and 12mm plenum spacer :) love how it turned out, pumped to test it out tomoz. Mine was completly black and thick as including the butterfly on the throttle body :/

check out my thread below for pics :)

rocket0000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
mine was full of crab, did anyone of you checked the pcv valve?

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
If only i had an old and worn out V6 commodore to try this on.................. ( knocking the title of the post not V6 owners ;)

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
ive done this on my car, made a decent improvement