Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For Farts Sake! TACHO

Bundy_VN

VN Rev-Head
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S2
Ive hooked my Speco Tacho up, and i've done it correctly and it works, but not if you put on the lights (including hi-beams) or sometimes when you use the brakes (it drops back to 0 revs). I know you're all sick of Tacho questions but I'm about this close to chucking the thing to the shithouse and I'd rather not. So if anyone has any ideas, please...:bang: :bang:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Could be a short somewhere. Is it wired up to illuminate when you turn the lights on? If it is, i'd start by looking at that wiring. Or you could bin it and get a L2/L3 cluster;)

cracker

Reaction score
mine did the samem, its a poor earth or power supply. fix these and it shall be fine.

Bundy_VN

VN Rev-Head
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S2
Yeah i've changed the Earth and its still being difficult, it's gotta be the power supply, I'll have another look tomorrow after work. If all else fails then i'll get the L2 or L3 Cluster and find something to cover the holes in the Steering Column. Thanks anyway guys.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Well i was having trouble with power suply. I ended up running the wires to the cigarette lighter. I used the earth and power from the cigarette lighter and also got the tacho light from the cigarette lighter aswell. Worked a treat for me.

Bundy_VN

VN Rev-Head
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S2
Hmmm, sounds like an idea, I dont smoke or have little annoying neons using it so it should be good. Thanks man.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can still use my cigarette lighter if i want. it still works. I just taped into the wires. I just thought the cigarette lighter would be the easyest because it has power earth and light all in one place. If you try it let us know how u go.

Bundy_VN

VN Rev-Head
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S2
K, I'll give it a try after work tomorrow. Also while I'm here, you got any idea why my console (including dash all the way along) creaks when you push it? Its not affecting the ride in anyway, its just a bitch when you lean on it.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wouldnt have a clue but mine does it aswell. Im sure its not an uncommon problem.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
sounds strange, sounds like an earth problem, i got a speco tacho a little while ago and the lights on it dont work at all