Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For the BMW fans. E30 318is.

skyracer

Reaction score
Rosebud / Mornington Peninsula / Victoria
Members Ride
VS II Berlina & BMW E30 318 iS & VS II Manual GTS
Sup,

Picked up this baby last week from work.

It's a 89 E30 318is coupe m42.

dsc00482o.jpg

Rare as hell cars. The last 318is that came into work was 2 years ago. And I work at the largest BMW wrecker in the country. o_O

So when it came in. I jumped on it right away. Everybody else in the work shop was fighting over it. I walked into the office and told the boss. "I want to pay for it right now" Having only looked at the car for 2 minutes, if that. He asks me. "Don't you want to take it for a test drive or something first?". So I did. I had never driven one before so I didn't know what to expect. But it was just awesome. So I took it home that night on the trade plates as it needs a few things for roadworthy and rego. Went for a little drive to see what it can do.

1st gear = wheel spin city, slam it into 2nd gear and you still have to have both hands on the steering wheel while the ass end kicks out. 3rd gear gives a nice chirp and just keeps pulling.

So happy with it. But it needs a lot of work. Sucks not being able to drive it until i get a roady and rego. But it's mostly all the little things that need fixing. So shouldn't be too long till it's on the road. :D

The work begins!

dsc00456m.jpg

dsc00462ta.jpg

dsc00463wf.jpg

dsc00464t.jpg

dsc00465f.jpg

Thanks Geoff!! :p
dsc00466h.jpg

And the tools to get the job done.

dsc00468b.jpg

Fun times ahead. Will keep this thread updated on my progress.

:D

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
thread approved and subscribed, awesome score, especially being the m42!!

got any plans yet, or still just stoked over getting it?

edit: get her on the road for the sept gippy cruise!! if jesterarts still has his e30then, we can take over the cruise with our bimmers!!!!

skyracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still stoked over getting it really. My housemates heaps jealous. haha. Took him for a spin the other night, then he spent all night trying to find one for sale online. Didn't find any. lol.

Cruise sounds awesome. Trying to get it on the road asap. Can't wait to get to work tomorrow so I can order in some parts. :D

Last edited:

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
nice pick up, just a question, whats an M42?

skyracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
"The BMW M42 is a DOHC 16-valve I4 piston engine first built for the E30 318is and 318i 1991 year model. The engine block is based on the BMW M40, used on the 318i, but had distinctive features such as double overhead cams driven by a timing chain, hydraulic valve lifters, and an increased 10:1 compression ratio."

Hope that helps. :)

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yeh it does :p, never heard of the m42 b4, cheers for the info

skyracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha no probs!

Sorry the following pics are a bit dark. It started pissing down rain here in little ol rosebud so I worked on the car in the garage. :)

Got a bit done today. Cleaned out the dual stage throttle body. I should have taken a before pic. It was nothing but black on the inside.

dsc00483j.jpg

Took out the spark plugs to find that the rocker cover gasket has a major oil leak. the spark plugs were swimming in engine oil.

dsc00484j.jpg

So I took the rocker cover off and took the old gasket off. Decided to paint the cover while I had it off.

dsc00485ek.jpg

Then got stuck into the sun roof. It now opens and closes haha. Hell yeah!!

dsc00486wq.jpg

:)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
So wish I'd known more about bimmers when I bought mine... there was a 318is a selling for a grand more than my 318i but I didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Yeah... I know what the fuss is about now lol.

Nice pickup mate, should be a ncie little project.

Thanks,

skyracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, thank you Jesterarts. ;) lol

Got my headlights working today. Not Hids though. :( I would have taken a pic but I ran the battery flat starring at the front of the car. lol

Also went into Repco today for a high flow air filter. Wanted to charge me $185 for one. :O I kinda just stood there like... you serious. It's a fricken air filter. :(

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
cmon man, that 3 letter word makes everything twice as dear, you should know this :p

what headlights has it got? the projectors?