Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford 9 inch diff conversion

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Anyone had their VB-VK diff converted to a Ford 9 inch? How much does it cost? I could track a place local that does them.

I was just thinking about it for the future but not sure whether I'd bother. At the moment I never let my car rip because I don't want to break my diff or axle. How much stronger is a 9 inch compared to my Salisbury 10 bolt LSD? I assume it must be a lot stronger seeing that the big boys have them in their massive powered cars. It would be nice having a super strong rear that's all. :) :thumbsup:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Well what plans do you have for your Calais?. If your planning for a power house 5er then go for a 9 inch, but stock, usless, it will rob the power. A 10 Bolt Sals are a strong diff, just ppl do stupid things and break them. They are about on par same strength as a VL Turbo B/W diff.

Oh the price for a 9 inch for you VK, well seen someone post on another forum that $550 for one, but read in mags that a 9 inch housing, diff centre, axles are about $1000+

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Anyone had their VB-VK diff converted to a Ford 9 inch? How much does it cost? I could track a place local that does them.

I was just thinking about it for the future but not sure whether I'd bother. At the moment I never let my car rip because I don't want to break my diff or axle. How much stronger is a 9 inch compared to my Salisbury 10 bolt LSD? I assume it must be a lot stronger seeing that the big boys have them in their massive powered cars. It would be nice having a super strong rear that's all. :) :thumbsup:

A 9" is about as strong as you will ever need in a street car. There is a cost and that is unsprung weight though. That said, you can get virtually any ratio you want and LSD/Locker centres are readily available.

Question though - how many 10 bolts have you blown up? They are pretty tough as well. I wouldn't bother with one unless I was racing or needed a particular ratio. Stock Sailsburies are quite cheap.

Reaper

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I haven't wrecked one before. I just am paranoid about killing my Salisbury. Don't know why. I love my car so much that I worry about breaking my rear. I figured a 9 inch would be damn hard to break.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Only way to kill a Salisbury is to many burnouts. Everyday driving is fine. I know a place that can get new 10 bolt centres in from the USA.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
For a street car consider a VL Turbo LSD very good diff stronger than the Salisbury. I used to twist the splins off the ends of the salisbury axels with my 202 if I changed too hard from 1st to second.
As for a 9" I looked at one for my VK with a Detroit Trutrac centre. Complete disc to disc, axels the works I wasnt going to get much change out of $3000.

In the end I settled for a VL Turbo LSD and I think its going to be just fine.

cheers
Scott

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yieks! 3 grand? I knew the pricing would vary. Damn.

The thing is I want to fang a few burnouts without my diff snapping. :)

Thanks fellas.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
What are the VL Turbo LSD's worth second hand complete? Are they a bolt off, bolt on job for my VK?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Mine owes be about $800ish in the car installed. Rebuilt & Painted. I bought mine for $600 and spend $200 on machining, parts & paint.

Tailshaft - you either need to buy the correct tailshaft or modify one to fit, its not hard.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
I got my tailshaft modified to suit the BW flange the rest is a straight bolt in job.