Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Calls Quits for FPV

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Either way I think it's a very sad day for Australian motoring, as much as we all love to hate fords they are the reason why Holden sought to constantly improve. It was a two horse race (I don't consider Toyota a contender) now it's a lone horse in a paddock.

Personally I was hoping Ford brought out a last hurrah more powerful than the new GTS. Not going to happen

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
We all saw this coming, no point trying to be shocked.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
No surprise here. I'd argue it'd be the least profitable arm of the whole operation. I mean, I do see a few HSV Commodores (late models) running around town but I only recall seeing one FPV car getting about in the last year.

Then again why wait till 2016? Or even 2014? What is stopping Ford in pulling the pin right NOW?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Either way I think it's a very sad day for Australian motoring, as much as we all love to hate fords they are the reason why Holden sought to constantly improve. It was a two horse race (I don't consider Toyota a contender) now it's a lone horse in a paddock.

Personally I was hoping Ford brought out a last hurrah more powerful than the new GTS. Not going to happen

This is a good summation, will HSV be the last Aussie built factory performance car brand?

Or will this make room for smaller shops like Walkinshaw etc to get more business (not that they need it).

Either way I think that this is not a good thing, admittedly Ford watered the whole concept down by bringing FPV in house but they were never in the same league as HSV.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
its definatly not a good thing. I would imagine this means this gen f range of HSV`s is as good as there going to get. There is not reason to develop them now. I don't believe the mustang isn't a good idea to fill to performance gap left by FPV`s departure.
Please who want to buy a performance ford in Australia want a sedan or ute. Not a coupe.

Ford tried this in 2002ish to compete with the Monaro. They sold less that 400 of them.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
its definatly not a good thing. I would imagine this means this gen f range of HSV`s is as good as there going to get. There is not reason to develop them now. I don't believe the mustang isn't a good idea to fill to performance gap left by FPV`s departure.
Please who want to buy a performance ford in Australia want a sedan or ute. Not a coupe.

Ford tried this in 2002ish to compete with the Monaro. They sold less that 400 of them.
Difference was the price they sold for due to high overheads converting them to RHD. These will come from the UK RHD ready to go, which will bring the cost down considerably. Talk is $40-60k depends on spec level, so will be SV6/SS money.

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
I think if Ford bring in the correct mustangs it could work, and by ford I mean the shelby tuning house. I doubt many people could or would say no to a gt500 or gt1000, but this is a long shot and there already some importers. But the premium they demand $285,000 for a Gt500 Super Snake, quite a lot over the $94,000 price in USA (a lot more than any RHD conversion import tariffs compliance etc. would cost)

With shelby as a tuner in Australia that could revive or become the new FPV, however its quite a long shot.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
This is a good summation, will HSV be the last Aussie built factory performance car brand?

Or will this make room for smaller shops like Walkinshaw etc to get more business (not that they need it).

Either way I think that this is not a good thing, admittedly Ford watered the whole concept down by bringing FPV in house but they were never in the same league as HSV.

Sorry but disagree FPV cars were more than a match for hsv's there is some area they lack mainly in the rear diff area but as a complete package i believe they're a better car. 335 motors pump out on average 300rwkw more than any hsv will make. 310 F6 are an absolute animal and they're gearboxes are better than holden's options. They had brembo and suspension option if you so chose. I also prefer the look of ford compared to Ve commdores (e3's were ok)

This was always going to happen. I'm actually surprised FPV will last till 2014.

They'll only be around till the update of the FG they wont continue as designing new kits for the new model will be a waste of money

Torborg

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
On the plus side, the article mentions a 5L s/c XR8 based on the GT. For 45K, I'll take one.