Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford could be closing up shop earlier than 2016

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Why bother promoting a dead horse to be honest. Maybe its a way of pushing the future to the public??

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm sorry OP, but where did you read this speculation - I've not read it in the news yet?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I am really not surprised by this, I haven't seen any new falcons on the road recently.

I see a lot of the first gen FG's but the new ones are almost non existent compared to the VF
You do know a series 1 and a series 2 FG look almost identical right?

Just to revive this thread briefly. Has anybody else noticed that with every Ford commercial on TV, they show a number of different models, but not one has the Falcon included? Talk about wanting a car to die. There is the Focus, the Fiesta and even the Territory (which is also due to die soon), but the car that led Ford to No. 1 in Australia not so many years ago is nowhere to be seen.
Meh why bother promoting something that is going. Bring on the Stang!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The other day in the local paper a car yard was selling an ex-govt 2012 Falcon XT. Just about fell off my chair. Someone should buy it and keep it as uber-rare future classic. XTs not even really available to the public apparently - punters are steered towards the XR6, according to a salesperson I spoke to when buying the Fiesta. When I asked about the availability of a manual gearbox he looked at me kinda funny.

The number of FG falcons I have seen getting about in the last week I could count on one hand. However....number of VEs I could count on 2 hands and 2 feet, if you get my drift. I have noticed even at supercheap, say 10 years ago most parts/accessories they had were for falcons and commodores; they have now diversified; you can now get dash mats for about 20-25 different models.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm sorry OP, but where did you read this speculation - I've not read it in the news yet?

It was an article in the early morning news on television the day I posted the original to this thread. I haven't read or seen any reference to it since.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Why bother promoting a dead horse to be honest. Maybe its a way of pushing the future to the public??

Why build the things then if you're not going to promote them at all? To me, continuing to make Falcons is even more pointless if you then completely abandon them from advertising.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
They still need to sell them. Don't sell much without promotion.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, I dont do the adds. You yourself said they dont seem to be pushing them, what is their excuse?
I see it as lets try and sell what we will be selling in the future, as we are shutting down the Falcon range soon.
Just my take on it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey, I dont do the adds. You yourself said they dont seem to be pushing them, what is their excuse?
I see it as lets try and sell what we will be selling in the future, as we are shutting down the Falcon range soon.
Just my take on it.

Exactly. It's crazy to build a vehicle then completely ignore it and promote everything else you sell. I wasn't having a shot at you - I realise you are as perplexed as I am. It seems as though Ford is doing everything it can to keep the production line running just long enough to run staff numbers down gradually to the point where there are no longer enough employees to build Falcons at all, then say "Hey, we don't have the staff anymore, so we'll be closing down a bit earlier than we originally predicted."

Thinking about it, perhaps that's exactly what they are doing.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree with the slow down comment. Sales are already way down, so lets shut up shop before it costs any more money.
Its a shame, and hope GMH dont go down the same path.