Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Mustang scores appalling 2 star Ancap rating

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When you watch those film clips it seems obvious that poor driving us the principal cause in every case but it also seems that the available power is more than many drivers can handle.

Each car got out of shape very quickly after taking off. Too much grunt, too little ability.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Each car got out of shape very quickly after taking off. Too much grunt, too little ability.

Plus a few other possible factors ?....... high powered egos , instant social media recording , crap tyres , antiquated rear suspensions.
I wonder how many of our older (age) forum members can remember (or prefer to forget) doing dickwit things in our younger days, but getting away with it with no damage to ourselves, cars or the scenery.
But that does not excuse the stupidity shown in the surroundings of the incidents.

I think the 2 star safety issue is a beat-up. After reading a lot about it, the Mustang seems to be a victim of changed rules, sensational media reporting, and very poor communication on the part of Ford Aus. Still not on my list of cars to covet, I think that compared to a (theoretical ) FGX coupe they are generally rubbish.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No doubt showing off had a part to play but I can't help thinking these modern cars have too much power for poor drivers to handle.

I think the rear suspensions would be pretty reasonable IRS setups and the tyres would be half decent as they are marketed as performance cars.

I can remember showing off too but the power we had to play with was a fraction of what these guys are driving. Trying to do a wheelie on take off usually led to a lunched diff.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Rubbish drivers smashing high powered cars never gets old.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No doubt showing off had a part to play but I can't help thinking these modern cars have too much power for poor drivers to handle.

I think the rear suspensions would be pretty reasonable IRS setups and the tyres would be half decent as they are marketed as performance cars.

I can remember showing off too but the power we had to play with was a fraction of what these guys are driving. Trying to do a wheelie on take off usually led to a lunched diff.

Wow, you must have had crap diffs. Trying to launch the old VN usually just led to lots of smoke :D

I believe the rear suspension on the Mustang was upgraded for the 2015/2016 model, earlier models still used the old design and hence the reason they suffer so badly from axle tramp. I see it every year at the Fathers day drags when Mustangs do burnouts to warm up the tires, the rear axle is dancing under the rear of the car.....

IMG_8350.jpg

Last edited:

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Americans build cars based on the cars Americans have built in the past, marketed to Americans only. Australia stopped looking at American-only influences in the 70s and look how much better our products became.

My girlfriend's friend bought a 2016 model with the turbo four-pot. Looks great but I kept saying 'I'd never buy an American car' and she thought I was being rude. I showed her this ANCAP result a few days ago and she couldn't believe it.

What year is that live axle 'stang above immortality? Unbelievable.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Wow, you must have had crap diffs. Trying to launch the old VN usually just led to lots of smoke

You younger blokes who haven't experienced anything earlier than Commodores have no idea just how weak early Holden diffs were.

They were adequate until the old red motors appeared. Then their basic weakness became very apparent. Diffs and axles. All easily busted by irresponsible behaviour

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
You younger blokes who haven't experienced anything earlier than Commodores have no idea just how weak early Holden diffs were.

They were adequate until the old red motors appeared. Then their basic weakness became very apparent. Diffs and axles. All easily busted by irresponsible behaviour

Yeah I went through a few banjo diffs in my HR - they were pretty average diffs, I wasn't even flogging the car they were just prone to failure.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My little brother in law busted a few VC Commodore diffs, I believe they were the small Salisbury which was carried over from earlier models if I'm not mistaken

Americans build cars based on the cars Americans have built in the past, marketed to Americans only. Australia stopped looking at American-only influences in the 70s and look how much better our products became.

My girlfriend's friend bought a 2016 model with the turbo four-pot. Looks great but I kept saying 'I'd never buy an American car' and she thought I was being rude. I showed her this ANCAP result a few days ago and she couldn't believe it.

What year is that live axle 'stang above immortality? Unbelievable.

Not 100% sure but I believe that is what they all used till they went IRS for the 2015/16 model.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-history-of-the-ford-mustang-independent-rear-suspension/

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I have no doubt that poor driving ability played some part in those crashes but they way the cars just snap and can't be pulled back looks like the rear end isn't set up very well. When building cars with that much power you really need to set the rear ends up correctly to handle it and it looks like Ford haven't done much work sorting that out.