Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Ranger

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Tell us what you really think ;)

It's just what came to mind when I replied
Too many over sensitive wombats on here lately who ask for advice, and then get all upset and carry on like twats when they don't agree with the members who offer their opinions and points of view

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I would think the Ford forum would have many more members able to provide views on the Ranger based on their personal experience, even if bias was present. Its just as likely that asking a Holden forum about a Ford will garner responses along the lines of "its a **** heap". So far, there have only been a small number of responses in this thread actually relating to the car and really, what has the OP learned? That the 2. 2 is gutless and little else. I'm sure the Ford forum would have been more helpful than we have. It seems that most of us here a) don't like Rangers, b) don't like trucks and c) know SFA about Rangers anyway.

Calaber I've got to say, you're always here to offer no nonsense and common sense advice when others are clearly losing their marbles
Good job again sir :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Calaber I've got to say, you're always here to offer no nonsense and common sense advice when others are clearly losing their marbles
Good job again sir :)
Well, shucks sir, thank you. (goes all red faced and embarrassed).

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Just to answer the OPs question.
You haven't exactly explained what the purpose of it is for.
is it towing? cruising the high country? being a mix of a family vehicle and a toy hauler on weekends?

Unfortunately if you cant find what you want in your budget you might need to look at other options. or keep saving for the budget to be in a higher bracket.
Have been in a few Rangers and they are alright, except they have all been the higher end ones and more 2016-2018ish.
From a practical view they have been fine. They all drove well and the tech in the newer Wildtrak was pretty interesting.
Although I do have to say, the Uncles BT50 is pretty nice. So that's another option for you.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I had a (2nd-hand) '99 Hilux 3L non-turbo manual 4x4 Extra cab for 11 years, then traded it in on a new '15 Ranger 3.2L turbo auto 4x4 Super cab. The jump in power and the increased comfort with luxuries like cruise control were impressive, but the build quality and paint were poor. Showing plenty of stone chips and a little rust after 3 months. Building vehicles in Thailand humidity and weather can be a gamble. I don't think the Ford would age as well as the Toyota did. Traded it on a '17 Holden 6.2L brute after 2 years.

Wouldn't go back to a 4x4 oil burner unless I had to (I sold the land that I needed 4WD to get in and out of).

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
Just to answer the OPs question.
You haven't exactly explained what the purpose of it is for.
is it towing? cruising the high country? being a mix of a family vehicle and a toy hauler on weekends?

Unfortunately if you cant find what you want in your budget you might need to look at other options. or keep saving for the budget to be in a higher bracket.
Have been in a few Rangers and they are alright, except they have all been the higher end ones and more 2016-2018ish.
From a practical view they have been fine. They all drove well and the tech in the newer Wildtrak was pretty interesting.
Although I do have to say, the Uncles BT50 is pretty nice. So that's another option for you.
I need something I can do a bit of beach driving in, I like going over to a lot of the islands like morton island, and Frazer where you need the 4x4 to get around, It would also be handy to use out west when I go deer shooting. It does need to be a family mover as I've got two kids. If I wasn't a shooter I probably wouldn't be looking at the dual cab utes, as the 4x4 wagons such as the patrol, and LandCruiser you can get up to 8 seats. Better people mover but I doubt my wife is going to impressed with me carrying around a dead animals in the back, wouldn't be good for spotlighting either.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
I had a (2nd-hand) '99 Hilux 3L non-turbo manual 4x4 Extra cab for 11 years, then traded it in on a new '15 Ranger 3.2L turbo auto 4x4 Super cab. The jump in power and the increased comfort with luxuries like cruise control were impressive, but the build quality and paint were poor. Showing plenty of stone chips and a little rust after 3 months. Building vehicles in Thailand humidity and weather can be a gamble. I don't think the Ford would age as well as the Toyota did. Traded it on a '17 Holden 6.2L brute after 2 years.

Wouldn't go back to a 4x4 oil burner unless I had to (I sold the land that I needed 4WD to get in and out of).
Yeah those hiluxs are a great car. I had the exact same one, I sold it to my dad years ago one of the worst desisions I made. He still has it, and loves it.

I have always been a Toyota man, but I'm keeping an open mind. Those tritons I have mixed feelings about, I had a few of those as company cars and the gear boxes were crap, they kept slipping out of gear all the time. I hear the older ones are good though.

Thanks for the info though, they're a good looking car, but maybe not the best bang for buck. Something to think about.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I would think the Ford forum would have many more members able to provide views on the Ranger based on their personal experience, even if bias was present. Its just as likely that asking a Holden forum about a Ford will garner responses along the lines of "its a **** heap". So far, there have only been a small number of responses in this thread actually relating to the car and really, what has the OP learned? That the 2. 2 is gutless and little else. I'm sure the Ford forum would have been more helpful than we have. It seems that most of us here a) don't like Rangers, b) don't like trucks and c) know SFA about Rangers anyway.

I never said he shouldn't ask the Ford Forum, my comment was along the lines of asking around more than just 1 source for a more true indication, asking the Ford forum will give him a more biased opinion so balance it up with views from other forums is probably a better option.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
A lot of the guys I used to work with had hilux's or used the work lux's to go up the high country and go shooting.
I guess you could say that they are the old standard as to which to use.
as for beach driving, Reaper used to have an adventra and that was pretty good for the sand.

The cousin has an older pk era ranger. He goes offroad a fair bit with it, so they are capable and possibly below your price range.
Although personally im not a massive fan of them, but could be an option for you.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I never said he shouldn't ask the Ford Forum, my comment was along the lines of asking around more than just 1 source for a more true indication, asking the Ford forum will give him a more biased opinion so balance it up with views from other forums is probably a better option.
I wasn't responding to your post specifically and you are basically suggesting something similar to me. If you look at the earliest posts in this thread, my first post suggested "asking the man who owns one" on the Ford forum.