Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford reveals its series 2 BF

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Ford have released the series 2 of there BF falcon.
This is what they have released to counter the VE.
Heres a link for some pics http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=59584&page=3 .
I dont think it looks the best and am dissapointed that Ford havnt done better.
I Dont think they have changes it enough to compete with the VE in the looks department and the changes that have been made make it look worse.
Neways that my opinion what bout the rest of you?

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
What would you expect? A whole new designed car for a series two? Orion is to compete with the VE.
Mind you 6 speed auto as an option across the entire range (petrol motors only).....thats rated at 10.2(i know the sticker is BS) that'll make the swaying buyer think.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
A summary of the 11 areas where Ford claims it has the VE on the ropes include:

VE Commodore will not perform as well as the BF Falcon.
VE Commodore's Alloytec engine is not as technologically advanced as Falcon's Barra 190.
VE Commodore does not offer six-speed automatic transmission on any six-cylinder models.
VE Commodore is larger and heavier than its predecessor. BF Falcon can achieve fuel consumption as low as 10.2lt/100km on the Barra 190 engine with six-speed automatic transmission.
VE Commodore does not currently offer a dedicated LPG or dual fuel LPG option.
Air-conditioning is a $2000 optional extra on the VE Commodore Omega. Air-conditioning comes standard on the BF Falcon XT.
BF Falcon comes with a full-size spare wheel standard across the range including wagon and Ute (excluding E-Gas).
BF Falcon has a luggage capacity of 504lt with a full-size spare wheel compared to VE Commodore at 496lt.
The cost of replacing original tyres has increased on VE Commodore. A set of four new tyres on the VE Commodore Omega costs $928 RRP (or $232 RRP each) compared to the BF Falcon XT, Futura or Fairmont at $569.52 RRP (or $142.38 RRP each)
BF Falcon offers a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat back.
There is no VE wagon or Ute until late 2007. GM-Holden Ute no longer offers a Chassis Cab (i.e. One Tonner) while Falcon Ute offers a full range of XL, XLS and RTV Chassis Cabs

Not really anything there that really sticks other than the 6 speed auto option and also air con as standard.

The 380 is dead and buried now and I think this will hurt the new Camry. If the Falcon can match a 4 cylinder Camry in terms of fuel economy that damages the major advantage to the new Camry imo... I still think the Aurion with 204kw will be the VE's main competitor, not the Falcon.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
vztrt said:
What would you expect? A whole new designed car for a series two? Orion is to compete with the VE.
Mind you 6 speed auto as an option across the entire range (petrol motors only).....thats rated at 10.2(i know the sticker is BS) that'll make the swaying buyer think.
Ofcourse not a new car but at least change the design enogh to make it different from the 2002 model!!!
I think it should be a kind of upgrade where it is actually trying to be a bit different.
I think they should have done this with the original bf upgrade but no.
I was expecting something considering this car is the thing which will have to get sales for the next 18 months for ford against the ve.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
VE Commodore does not currently offer a dedicated LPG or dual fuel LPG option.

The cost of replacing original tyres has increased on VE Commodore. A set of four new tyres on the VE Commodore Omega costs $928 RRP (or $232 RRP each) compared to the BF Falcon XT, Futura or Fairmont at $569.52 RRP (or $142.38 RRP each)

what a load of crap correct me if im wrong but isnt there a dual fuel omega, also isnt the tyre size the same as falcon now?

i can see a bit of a toyota avalon mk111 styling in the front of the bf11

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
to get 6 speed auto on xt you need to upgrade to performance suspension, brakes and wheels i was told and was stated on LS1.com

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
andrewmac said:
Ofcourse not a new car but at least change the design enogh to make it different from the 2002 model!!!
I think it should be a kind of upgrade where it is actually trying to be a bit different.
I think they should have done this with the original bf upgrade but no.
I was expecting something considering this car is the thing which will have to get sales for the next 18 months for ford against the ve.

The big change for the BA to BFI was the 6sp auto, that thing is huge and alot of internal body changes had to be made.

gustov said:
to get 6 speed auto on xt you need to upgrade to performance suspension, brakes and wheels i was told and was stated on LS1.com

What a load of crud, the brakes on the XR6 NA are the same as the XT and you can get a 6sp on that. The SR has the upgraded suspension (Non XR) and wheels and thats pretty much a futura. Dont think LS1.com is gospel.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
Ugliest thing on the planet. Wow. Heading for the next AU?...

:wax: keep trying Ford.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I'm assuming that Holden is going to sell a lot of Omega's to just basic family buyers...

Air conditioning is a $2000 option on the Omega!!!
tyres to suit will cost $230-odd each!!!

F*ck that for a game of soldiers as a family car...bloody expensive to buy and to run. Who needs huge low profile wheels on a normal family car anyway...give me a Commodore with ordinary (16") wheels thanks...
...and before someone jumps down my neck, yes, wavering buyers on a budget who are looking a a brand new family car do look at running costs and how much tyres and so-forth will cost in the long term. We personally knocked back several very nice VT-VX's solely because they had 17" or 18" wheels on them.

As for the air-con, I have always been astounded that companies are still offering it as an "option". A comment from a motoring magazine from nearly twenty years ago sticks in my mind...it says in a hot country like Australia, why is heating standard and air conditioning an option?:yeah:

And yes...Ford has seriously stuffed up if that's the new Falcon...what were they thinking...

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Wombat said:
I'm assuming that Holden is going to sell a lot of Omega's to just basic family buyers...

Air conditioning is a $2000 option on the Omega!!!
tyres to suit will cost $230-odd each!!!

F*ck that for a game of soldiers as a family car...bloody expensive to buy and to run. Who needs huge low profile wheels on a normal family car anyway...give me a second hand Commodore with ordinary (16") wheels thanks...

And yes...Ford has seriously stuffed up if that's the new Falcon...what were they thinking...

Tyre prices come down as popularity increases. Remember when 17's weren't popular or common? The Omega doesn't have "huge low profile wheels" anyway.