Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Forum members in the construction industry.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
If you are a subcontractor in the construction industry it may be beneficial to join Subbies United.
I am not a member of Subbies United, as I don't want anything to do with builders.

https://subbiesunited.com.au/credit...ail&utm_term=0_0920c5dec0-7a33e6c54c-12872207

I do not have any affiliation with and am not receiving any benefit in any way shape or form from Subbies United.
It does make my blood boil though when I read the s**t that is going on in the industry and our f**king useless politicians won't do anything to close loopholes in or change laws so that these scumbags cannot easily ruin other peoples lives in the future.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if they wont pay on completion of the job don't work for them.
Tip put on your work order all materials are property of what ever your company is until paid for then if they don't pay by the due date send the police to reposes them. Theres heaps of jobs I can't do as I can't afford to wait 3 months until they pay me.
If I could get a job that paid eba rates Id change my phone number and never talk to anyone about work on the phone again.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
if they wont pay on completion of the job don't work for them.
Tip put on your work order all materials are property of what ever your company is until paid for then if they don't pay by the due date send the police to reposes them. Theres heaps of jobs I can't do as I can't afford to wait 3 months until they pay me.
If I could get a job that paid eba rates Id change my phone number and never talk to anyone about work on the phone again.

If only it was that simple for most of those sub contractors.
I imagine the police could not and would not repossess materials from a job site, especially those that have already been installed into the construction.
I can hear the coppers reply now, 'Yeah sure mate , we will go and repossess that 50m3 of concrete carpark slab for you. Where do you want us to deliver it to?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
In the case of an appliance it might work waste the money on a solicitor and get standard work contact they sign before you start work that includes a c*nt interest rate for late payment plenty of small builders do it. Explain it to the owner the we are poor and we lose our discount if we dont pay our accounts on time.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It is wise for a contractor to register his personal interest in the PPSR for all tools and equipment he takes onto a construction site otherwise when a builder suddenly shuts the site because he has declared bankruptcy his liquidators will claim ownership of everything on the site.

If said appliance is registered on the PPSR then it will be a simpler procedure for the contractor to recover his property.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Guys,

I am on both sides of the fence - We sub-contract as sparkies and we build off grid, rural and sustainable homes on a small scale - around 4 a year. We don't have contracts with our subbies and nor as a subbie do I have contract with any other party, As a builder I use the same group of trades from job to job. On the subbie side I want to get paid as soon as possible on completion of the job; like everyone. On the builder side cashflow is king - and any interruption has second and third order effects.

Like most subbies I have been taken for a ride by big companies. Big solar companies have bitten me twice - racking up bills, and pheonixing the company to start the next week; same directors, same address, different name - and apparently it is legal. I am going through the department of fair trading and ACCC with one right now.

We are members of NECA, HIA and MBA - and to be quite honest they don't do a lot for us individually. However, I think they are important for engagement with Government and others for the construction industry. Perhaps Subbies United will provide the voice that is missing.

As a builder we are currently in a world of hurt, Our frames were due on site 6 April and did not arrive on site until the first week of June - blaming the virus and detailers working from home and failing to deliver due to mental health issues. This has eaten my reserves as I have paid all of my trades. I am now using Job Keeper to partially meet the cost of maintaining our small workforce. We will be OK and get through it as I have delayed orders to ensure we have the cashflow to cover our workforce. This has been done to the detriment of the owners - who fortunately are very understanding.

In NSW there is legislation regarding payment to subbies. That is not to say builders don't screw them - I just haven't experienced it. Maybe I am sheltered by building/contracting in a rural environment with local trades. We have to drink in the one pub with clients, potential clients, other builders and other trades. Even though we are in competition we work together - I regularly employ two other builders as subbies on jobs. I guess that is the beauty of a small town.

Although we are only 45 minutes out of Canberra we decided from the outset not to work in that cut throat high density environment at all; perhaps a very wise move.

Best of luck with it.
Jolls