Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Forward facing camera

Dominic Carbone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore
Hi i have a 2017 vf commodore does anyone know if and how to connect a forward facing camera to my link screen.cheers Dom.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is an optional feature in the USA for the camaro/corvette. It basically replaces the lane keeping assistance feature (and guess it’s camera) with a full vision camera that can record your fangio efforts on a track. I also believe that some GM vehicles have a front facing parking camera that feeds images to MyLink screen. However, I t’s not clear which type your looking for...

But such things are not simple to add correctly. You need to wire in the hardware (the easy part). Then you’d need to mod MyLink to add the required software module for that feature (or you need to activate it if it’s included but passivated). The standard process to update software is to use TIS2 to add the module but that requires the GM database to reflect that particular RPO (feature) code against your VIN. Otherwise ist to hack the software...

The other option is to mount a rear facing camera up front... then both front and rear cameras can be mounted to a relay and switched manually to MyLink. But the video is only shown when in reverse so you’d have to trick MyLink into thinking it was in reverse when the front camera is selected. But I don’t know whether reverse switch is connected directly to MyLink or it receives some canbus signal from TCU, ECU or BMC. It may be possible to simply switch 12v or ground on some pin when the camera relay is switched to front but you’d want to know what other logic TCU, ECU or BMC does when real reverse is selected.

It’s not so simple to do such mods on modern cars, especially if you don’t have detailed wiring diagrams and detailed functional/logic descriptions of all the features... screwing something up would not be difficult. But with the right information, it may not be impossible...