Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Forward facing OTR

L36hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Statesman
Hey guys. Ive been fiddling around with a grinder and welder to modify a VS ecotec inlet manifold to put the throttle at the front but realised that no VS models came with a forward facing intake.
Is there anyone that makes or had made an OTR for the VS or will one off a VT/VX fit?

Build first, plan later.

H

harrop.senator

May fit but honestly you've already got the tig out it may be less painful just to make one.

H

harrop.senator

My otr rocks up in a week for the Caprice can trial it on my vr but has no rad in it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They’re a decent intake manifold from the factory - I don’t know if you’ll gain much. You may even run into mixture distribution problems unless you run some kind of divider, but realistically you’d need to flow test to work it out.

I’d still have a crack though. Never hurts to try something different.

L36hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Statesman
If it clears the rad support then i can chop and change things in front to clear. Im using a mig with alloy wire which is fine for the thick alloy of the manifold but sketchy with sheet but may have to

L36hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Statesman
This engine is an experimental project to try different things from the normal. I had spare manifolds lying around and thought id try something. If it works then great if not then try again

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Have a look at the US variants, they had a banana style manifold with what would be a forward facing throttle body in RWD config.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Any model (bar Holden) under Series II on this Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

AFAIK Holden are the only ones who used the plenum style intake, it is apparently advantageous somehow. People in the states have done the comparison, but I have no idea where the pages are. Maybe some Buick Grand National forums?

TBH though, I don't think an OTR by itself will make much difference. My reasoning that most people think it does on an LS is because they're usually retuned at the same time, not in the sense that the OTR is some kind of magical power adder, just that the engine isn't running Holden's conservative tune any more and they happened to get an OTR at the same time.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You may even run into mixture distribution problems unless you run some kind of divider, but realistically you’d need to flow test to work it out..

This would be my biggest concern on a homemade manifold. The old Rajab or maybe Bresciani (really cant remember) intake manifolds for the RB30 that are of the same concept had a habit of the air racing to the back 2 cylinders and leaning out the rest on a couple of mates cars that had them.