Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fouled iridium spark plugs cause?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
here we go, perfect:
spark_plug_worn_new_gap.jpg

so the reason i say: these have done more than 30,000kms is that these have a 100,000km lifespan, ive changed plenty around the 60k mark that dont have as much wear on the as OP's look like (on the PC pic, could be different IRL)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Got it. Understood. Thanks for the lesson mate! lol

(now currently on eBay buying replacement plugs for Prado)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I hate to say it but i don't think it's electrode wear in the pics, just an optical illusion as all the plugs aren't lined up so the pics are not taken directly side on, they all look good to me except the obvious pointed out 2, 1 realy dirty and 1 on it's way to looking that way.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
hi. out of interest did you get your tech2 and was it from china or fusscars (ebay) or somewhere else in Australia. mine came from uobd2.com (china) oddly enough it was for my saab9000 aero (gone to saab heaven now- but I also have a holden card. love that car. cheers.

Yes, spadar, I've received the tech2. I bought it from Ali express, they mailed it friday and I got it today, pretty quick. I paid $310au including postage (I was lucky enough to hit a 24 hour sale - 25% off)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Late...tech-2-Pro-kit-candi-32MB-Card/577550854.html

The strange thing is that I thought it was buying a clone. When I received it, I thought it was a clone, but it was packed the same way that they get sent to the USA. There was a bag of labels which get stuck non the unit after delivery. The stickers were the real CANDI and Vetronix labels. The labels actually state "made in the USA from domestic and imported components".

So is it the real deal? Well I'm going to start a new thread on it when I've learned how to us it. The only problem I have is that they gave me the Holden export card instead of domestic. I had a quick look at the diagnostic codes using the 2001 Chevy lumina and found some historic codes (thermo fan, speed sensor responder or something) so it appears to work for basic stuff with that card. It most likely does everything I just don't know how to, yet.

I'll just have to hunt around for a domestic card before I really get into it. At this stage I'm using it as a $300 paper clip for codes, but hopefully I'll do more as I learn. Any one in northern suburbs of Melbourne want to show me how to use it? You'll get free use of the tech2 in return, obviously.;)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Looking at that ad I would say you got the export card. The holden cars will say 142.000, or a revision version of that.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it'll be a clone for that price, they're good at making it look the real deal :p
memory is hazy but the tell tale signs iirc are the serial number will have a 5 point * at each end of the number & the cartridge in the bottom is grey not black.

regardless with the correct au holden card they work fine, never had a problem with mine and haven't killed a car yet (it's been a very useful diagnostic tool)
there was an ebay seller with au cards for about $100..... or someone around this or pcm forum i think could do them as well a bit cheaper.

just remembered, the only fault with mine was the car cig lighter adapter plug that goes into the scan tool was the wrong size and useless.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
it'll be a clone for that price, they're good at making it look the real deal :p
memory is hazy but the tell tale signs iirc are the serial number will have a 5 point * at each end of the number & the cartridge in the bottom is grey not black.

regardless with the correct au holden card they work fine, never had a problem with mine and haven't killed a car yet (it's been a very useful diagnostic tool)
there was an ebay seller with au cards for about $100..... or someone around this or pcm forum i think could do them as well a bit cheaper.

just remembered, the only fault with mine was the car cig lighter adapter plug that goes into the scan tool was the wrong size and useless.

Thanks for that. There are the stars on either end of the serial no. The cartridge is black. Until I get the Aussie card, do you think running diagnostics using the Chevy lumina (RHD) vehicle instead? I'm really looking forward to learning how to use it, as my brother, sister in law and nephew all have Holdens that could I possibly help them with.

Thanks also to everyone on here for your help with the spark plugs. I was thinking of pulling the plugs and checking them, how long should I leave them in before I check them out? Since I put the right plugs in, I've got power back and there is no missing under load anymore, which is a great relief.

Now I just have to work out the poor fuel consumption... (Hopefully the tech2 may help with that!) Thanks again, I really appreciate your help. Seriously, if you guys need to use this clone(?) Tech2, you're more than welcome.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
ahh my bad, it's the lever on the bottom for the cartridge not the whole thing (but you never know, they might've wised upto it :p either way it was a 3 figure price and not mid 5 figure so you have a useful tool)
http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/CloneTech2.pdf

for diags it's fine as long as it communicates & connects, i've used it on some US v6/v8 pcm's fine using the au card on the test bench.