Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

found a small hole in extractors

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
Hey guys,

I've had a couple of problems with the vn for a few months now. I've had a ticking noise coming from the engine when i accelerate at low rpm, i've also been getting a fair bit of vibration when i really plant in in first gear.

The old girl's done 405k now so i was thinking it's probably got multiple things wrong with it, but i was crawling around under the car today and found a small hole in one of the extractor pipes, now i'm starting to think that both problems might be related.

This will no doubt be the cause of my ticking noise, but do ya rekon it would give me vibration when accelerating hard? do the symptoms line up?

I've got a photo of it here:
hole in extractors.jpg
I was lying on my back under the gearbox facing up and slightly forwards, you can see where the steering column bit is coming down into the rack, what is that there on the left, the cluch housing? (it's a manual V6). I know the photo isn't great. The housing that the pipe is next to is flat so i'm kinda confused how it got dented concave like that.

Anyway, is it possible to fix something like this? possible to get it welded up? If it comes down to having to replace it, i know these headers are expensive, how much power might i loose going back to the stock exhaust manifold?

cheers for any opinions :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That hole will cause a noise, yes. And yes, it is possible to get it welded.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Might be easier to take it off and have a good look over it and get it welded up if it's not to thin..

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
hmmm ok cool, do ya rekon it's a big job getting them off?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If they are indeed extractors, yes, the RHS is a bugger, the rack has to be unbolted and pushed to the side to get the header out.