Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H questions

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
regarding my crappy PC with the Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H motherboard..

1. I'm running a Pentium D 930 3.0GHz at the moment. I understand the Core 2 processors are a lot better / run a lot cooler etc, is it a simple matter of remove and replace if I can find myself one?

2. Everything in the case seems a little warm.. with the system pretty much idle as I type this, I'm looking at GPU temp 54deg, CPU around 55 also, spikes to 63ish at a maintained 50% load.. now I don't know if this is all that bad but how much difference will adding a proper inlet fan or two to the case make? Where do you plug in case fans to control their speed?? (this case is rubbish, it's my crappy pc for general tasks, building another one for gaming so this has to be a low cost solution)

3. This ties on to the previous point. This setup is LOUD. The CPU fan only seems to have two speeds (slow and noisy, or fast and super noisy), makes a spastic amount of sound and the vibration through the case is not ideal. If I look for a cost effective CPU cooler, do I get a PWM one or ???? I don't know a lot about this. Is there even provision on my motherboard for a backing plate of a cooler? Never played with installing one before so sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. Lastly, do backing plates ever interfere with the case body, particularly in very basic, package-deal-pc, no-name cases like the one I'm dealing with?

4. I read a VERY small amount about the FoxOne software.. is this worth using, does it even work with win7.32, and where do I get it?? (motherboard was free second hand, did not come with any associated media)

Thanks
Sam

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
soo are you wanting to make the pc run cooler?? the socket is 775 so any cooler is better then the stock thats for sure, they should only be roughly $50 for the upper models, it should be around the 20-30c @ idle for that model, as my I7 idles @ 35-40c and max at 60-70c @ 100% load

backing plate wont affect anything, as the mobo is on rivits that hold it up away from the case itself,

clean ur case! get a hair dryer and blow out all the dust, take it all out and re-install if you can and know what ur doing, its a easy job, you want a fan controller if you are wanting to control the sound/speed of ur fans, and buy new's if they are overly loud as they should'nt be their cheap!

why do you want the foxconn software? drivers? they should be on their website, although it may be hard cause that mobo is now 5yrs old

umm think that is all, anything else that ive missed? ive built countless pc's now, its now kinda my 2nd job on the side for cashies so hit me up if u need more help

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
bit of progress on this since the OP

well this idles at about 40, loads up at 70-71, I think it throttles itself back to hold that temp though. these buggers are notorious for running hot. I'm ordering a pile of parts to build a gaming PC, and I've chucked in one of these for my heat issue with the PC in question here...

this: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion Edition [21XT-S1283RS] - $39.00 : PC Case Gear

and one or 2 of these, decide how many when I cbf taking the side of the case off and having a look what inlet/exhaust options i have in this crappy tower.

case is clean already :) I just rebuilt this PC about 100 times. fan controller on the cpu won't do the trick for me.. it's the factory fan on some smart software that controls it PWM-style based on core temp.. aaaaaand they are noisy as hell, these factory intel coolers. That'll be fixed by the Xigmatec.

wanted FoxOne because it allows me to play with core/memory speeds and voltages from within the OS, instead of having to go through BIOS. Gives me a good base level overclock so I can then go fine tune it in the BIOS.

only other thing I have to ask is who's cheapest / best for buying parts to build a system? Looking at using https://www.pccasegear.com/ as their prices seem to be overall the best I've found. Couple of bits coming from PLE computers also.

cheers
sam

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
either pccg or msy, i do all mine at pccg, without a doubt, thats good cooler, maybe get another fan to make a push pull config...should knock off a few degrees, fan controller will do the trick though? i dont know what ur saying...all my fans/cpu is hooked up to the 1 controller, can have all fans turned off if id like...

pretty much all pc's nowadays come with software to OC and adjust volts etc in the OS, but id advise not too, cause the software usually and always ups the voltage when it dosent need to...which is why it should be done in the bios. doing it in the bios is easy enough anyway

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
either pccg or msy, i do all mine at pccg, without a doubt, thats good cooler, maybe get another fan to make a push pull config...should knock off a few degrees, fan controller will do the trick though? i dont know what ur saying...all my fans/cpu is hooked up to the 1 controller, can have all fans turned off if id like...

pretty much all pc's nowadays come with software to OC and adjust volts etc in the OS, but id advise not too, cause the software usually and always ups the voltage when it dosent need to...which is why it should be done in the bios. doing it in the bios is easy enough anyway

I'll be keeping a very tight control over that, I won't touch that "auto overclock" button. Terrible idea for that to exist in the first place. Might as well microwave my CPU as use that button.

Anyway the Xigmatec should keep it all nice and cool at a friendly dBA level thanks to the surface area available and the larger fan diameter :) I don't think I'll need to double up with another fan on the cooler itself - I'm not chasing big numbers with this pc, the other one's the one I'll squeeze for every Hz I can pull out of it.. this one just has to work properly :)