Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foxtel

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
So having just had Foxtel connected I've found out (after talking to a mate on an older plan) that it's a lot cheaper now than it used to be. So if you've been connected for a decent while, check out the new prices. We also definitely get all the main FTA channels as well as some of the secondary ones like 11, Gem, etc (maybe because we have HD and some of them are HD channels, although we don't seem to get SBS HD so I who knows?) via Foxtel which is handy. Not sure if it's because we have Telstra FTTH (no, not NBN and yes, definitely FTTH) that carries everything, home phone, internet, FTA TV and Foxtel.

The basic Entertainment Pack, which is the default you have to have, is now just $25pm (https://www.foxtel.com.au/got/upgrades/tv/channel-packs/entertainment-channel-pack.html). Sport is $25pm (https://www.foxtel.com.au/got/upgrades/tv/channel-packs/sport-channel-pack.html) and HD (which imo is a must have if you have a newish HD TV - it's crystal clear!) is $10pm. This is what we have - so $60pm and we got free install and no contract (cancel any time without penalty).

You also get Foxtel GO! included with the basic Entertainment Pack of course. Watch it anywhere (although it's not counted as free data via mobile networks).

We may add Entertainment Plus and Docos for $10pm each but will see how much we watch it. We usually stream all our new TV shows and movies from the NAS anyway so we primarily got Foxtel primarily for the Sport (and maybe docos) and in HD it looks AWESOME!

All package options: https://www.foxtel.com.au/got/upgrades/tv/channel-packs.html

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Foxtel are just reacting to the fact that terrestrial signals are being murdered by on demand streaming.

I agree the best advice on a grandfathered plan is to call them up and get a better deal, as my ex wife did, but if you have FTTH, VDSL2 or even fraudband you can get 3 major streaming services (movies/TV) that cost a touch over half what your paying per month with the only monopoly being on sport, although that is finally starting to migrate! Sadly the ex has 1.5mb and there are no plans for upgrades anytime soon, so satellite on their timetable is her only option.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All well and good for those in a decent signal area. I am 5.2kms from the exchange and my ADSL2 drops out all the time and slows right down most of the time. At best I have gotten around 240 kbs while the girlfriend consistently achieves 1.2 - 1.5 Mbs closer to the exchange. With speeds at my house less than 100 kbs, streaming is virtually impossible for me. WA sucks big hairy dogs balls when it comes to internet.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yeah I don't need to stream in real time. We store all our TV and movies on the NAS and stream from there. Foxtel is the only option for most sport which is the primary reason for getting it... It is good that there's so many streaming services ramping up but Australia needs to move to unlimited data plans for it to really take off. Of course without Australian hosted content (and Telstra are negotiating with Netflix to host their content in their data centres and on their network) infrastructure is still the bottleneck in Australia.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
All well and good for those in a decent signal area. I am 5.2kms from the exchange and my ADSL2 drops out all the time and slows right down most of the time. At best I have gotten around 240 kbs while the girlfriend consistently achieves 1.2 - 1.5 Mbs closer to the exchange. With speeds at my house less than 100 kbs, streaming is virtually impossible for me. WA sucks big hairy dogs balls when it comes to internet.

Yup, it's a win for Fox because all you can get is their dish on your roof. As Raj said the plans at least aren't big bucks per month anymore.

iiBorg and all their children do unmetered with the big on demand players already, quotas aren't an issue anymore. I'm finally upgrading to a VDSL2 80/20 so it's hello on demand in this household :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The only sport I would want from Fox is AFL, specifically Tigers games.

Most are on FTA anyway and the ones that aren't I go to my local with the WA supporters club and watch the game over a few beers with a group of like minded people.

$50 pm for one game of footy doesn't work. Rupert Murdoch can suck a fat one.....he ain't getting any of my coin.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
For those of us who already had Foxtel installed, the cheaper base price wasn't offered but we were given about thirteen additional channels for no extra cost. So our base price remains at around $46 per month but the new channels include a number of my old favourites like Turbo. Most of my Fox favourites are on Turbo so I'm pretty satisfied with the package, though the equipment (IQ2) can be very unreliable. ?From what I've read on the net, the updated IQ3 can be even worse.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hmmm....will have to look into that, I'm pretty sure Turbo wasn't offered to us on the base plan, we have the entertainment plus I think that has the movies, but no sport or the FX, SoHo and that other one.....can't remember the name.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I get Turbo in the discovery pack for $10. So basic + sport + discovery + HD on IQ2 for $70 a month. Also had my IQ2 replaced due to HDMI drop outs. New box works fine.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I get Turbo in the discovery pack for $10. So basic + sport + discovery + HD on IQ2 for $70 a month. Also had my IQ2 replaced due to HDMI drop outs. New box works fine.

We've had both sets replaced within the three years of our service. The customer service line and the technician who came to install the last one after the on-line service couldn't get it operational, admitted that old returned sets are just given a once over then re-dispatched. They should be re-formatted each time to clean the hard drives but this doesn't always happen so the replacement sets can soon be as troublesome as the sets they replaced. That was our experience. It took three "new" sets to find one that worked correctly. We were also advised that, if connected to a smart TV as ours now is, the HDMI can permit data to conflict with the recording process, which causes those HDMI drop-outs Raj experienced. (I'm repeating what I was told. If it's bullshit, I'm not savvy enough to know.)

Replacing the HDMI with component cables is supposed to fix this issue. They sent me the cable sets but I haven't installed them yet to test this theory out. Suffice to say that we still experience a couple of the glitches that we have always had. The most obvious and annoying one is, when playing back a recorded program, we fast forward through the ads. If you do this at greater than x6, then hit play at the end of the ad break, the image jumps forward a number of seconds and there is either no sound track, or the sound track is out of sync with the image. Bloody annoying.

Another annoyance. Getting the same advertisements on paid TV as FTA. WTF? Doesn't Murdoch (or whoever owns Foxtel these days) make enough without bombarding us with friggin' commerecials for toothpaste and toilet paper? And the commercial breaks where they promote their programs go waaaaaayyyyy too long.

Foxtel score? 6/10