Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FR19's with IRS

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just circling back to this. I may be overthinking it but want to try and keep this roadworthy.
Not trying to discount your concerns, but have you seen what people put on their dailys?

Basically, pretty much every aftermarket wheel is not considered "roadworthy" in the technical sense as you're unlikely to find one which matches every parameter one for one. Really doubt you would get defected, and in the unlikely case you did, you just slap the old wheels back on (which roadside cop is checking track or wheel width anyway). Doubt insurance would blink an eye either outside of them looking at the diameter (which they still probably wouldn't think much of as it's common now), just tick the aftermarket wheels box on the form. You also live in QLD which as far as I can remember is just about the most tolerant place for mods given you have the mod plate system. IMHO these wheels would barely qualify, and I think you'd be just as likely to get defected with even some kind of correct aftermarket wheel that met all those specifications if you were, it's just down to the individual cop not liking something (anything) really.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I don’t know about the legal side in your state but here, normally every tolerance is + or - XX measurement.

But I have bolted my VE HSV genuine wheels to my old VP Calais and they did not rub. So if you stick around the 8.5” rim with 35P offset they’ll fit. If you can get an 8” rim to stay legal even better and you can still run a 245 tyre.

I also had the VE tyres on the rim so the 245/35R20 cleared. Hopefully that helps with the calculations

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You could also say it's an "off-road passenger vehicle" going by those standards.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
No not discounting at all. Have come to realise that at worst, insurers will just look at wheel size. Nobody will bother measuring track width. Also realised that the hsv wheels would have changed the track anyway, so its all over the place from factory. That IRS era must have been the worst for offsets, its almost like holden/hsv just whacked on whatever fitted without remaining consistent.

Leaning towards the 35 p offset with a 245/35 tyre. I'll gain some ride height though.

Will go to a wheel shop on the pretence of buying to confirm.

Other option is an 18" wheel, but they just don't look at good.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
But I have bolted my VE HSV genuine wheels to my old VP Calais and they did not rub. So if you stick around the 8.5” rim with 35P offset they’ll fit. If you can get an 8” rim to stay legal even better and you can still run a 245 tyre.

I also had the VE tyres on the rim so the 245/35R20 cleared. Hopefully that helps with the calculations

What wheels did you put on?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No not discounting at all. Have come to realise that at worst, insurers will just look at wheel size. Nobody will bother measuring track width. Also realised that the hsv wheels would have changed the track anyway, so its all over the place from factory. That IRS era must have been the worst for offsets, its almost like holden/hsv just whacked on whatever fitted without remaining consistent.

Leaning towards the 35 p offset with a 245/35 tyre. I'll gain some ride height though.

I read that link as you can go 15MM bigger in over all diametre and 26MM wider in track and no more than12.5MM rim offset change from the biggest rim/tyre combo available for a VP Commodore, rather than what is stated on your placard..

I'm fairly confident in saying, the biggest rim/tyre combo available for a VP was a 17X8, fitted with a 235/45X17....Or it might have been a 16X7, fitted with a 225/50X16.

So best do some research on what the biggest rim/tyre combo available for a VP and take all your measurements based on that, rather than your placard..

From that, ring your transport department and insurance company to ask them if your choice is roadworthy....Once it is confirmed, make sure your insurance company is notified of the change once fitted....

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I'm fairly confident in saying, the biggest rim/tyre combo available for a VP was a 17X8, fitted with a 235/45X17.

Correct it was the VP Senator rim 17x8 30P. I’ve own a few sets. The same wheel was fitted to the VP GTS and Clubsport 5000i.

The VR Senator rim looks the same but is a different offset as I’ve also owned them and sold them off as they were no good for a VP with IRS.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I think HSV went with a different offset to push the wheels out further into the guards just to give it a slight more muscular look.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Correct it was the VP Senator rim 17x8 30P. I’ve own a few sets. The same wheel was fitted to the VP GTS and Clubsport 5000i.

The VR Senator rim looks the same but is a different offset as I’ve also owned them and sold them off as they were no good for a VP with IRS.

Yup, I have 3/4's of a set here :( 30p offset.