Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fragile Front Gas Suspension

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Fragile Front Suspension.

I brought a Commodore VX II Equipe as a second car about 3 months ago to replace a similar vehicle that I had done 240,000 KLM in.

The new one only had 115,000 on it and also has a Pedders Comfort Ride gas suspension and a full Pedders suspension bush upgrade. The previous owner spent quite a bit of cash for this.

Last week a horrible noise came from the front suspension strut tower. Took it to Pedders and they said the top strut bearings had collapsed and needed replacement.

I had both sides done for $350.

When I asked how long this would last just driving normally, I was shocked when they said about 70,000 KLM.

My previous Commodore VX II equip went for 240,000 KLM on the standard Holden struts !

Are Pedders gas struts a fragile design ?

Are they any better or worse an after market arrangement than, Monro, Bilstein etc.

Can the Holden units be that good ?

Appreciate and comments.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
70.000Ks on Pedders? My VT is up to 236000Ks and the front suspension is almost completley quiet. From what you said, I would suggest that you may have been better off getting known low K Genuine units from a wrecker. But I am also a known cheapskate, always liked road tested parts. I think the newer Commodores, ie VX and VY have the same struts and top bearings so they would be interchangeable. Dunno if this will help you as you have already spent your money on candy struts. Oh and if the pedder units will only do 70000, while the Holden ones are still doing well over 200000Ks (300000 is not unheard of), I think that is self explanatory.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
For my VS I bought 4 brand new genuine FE2 springs from holden.$29 each for the fronts and $45 each for the rears.I also got 2 brand new genuine front struts for $99 each.And this is from the local holden dealer up here in the bush,its probably even cheaper in the cities..My point is that the genuine parts are a lot cheaper than the after market brands, and obviously last a lot longer too as mentioned above.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
industry standard for shock absorbers is any where between 70,000 to 120,000kms altho if you dont get atleast 150,000kms out of them some thing is wrong, (even tho pedders only give a 2 year 40,000km warranty), altho a shock may not be leaking doesnt mean its good, valving goes off and it doesnt work 100%, its one of the hardest working parts in your car, even before you start your car the shock has worked when you get in, valves open and close, piston moves up and down and seals have moved, and because shock go off gradualy you dont realy notice them wear. as for the strut bearings and bearing plates over time they compress and squash up, the bearing can get full of dirt and fail.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Thanks for the comments, Graham, Brett, Glenn,

If I have any more issues with the Pedders front struts, I will revert back to genuine Holden parts.

Having said that, the Pedders Comfort Ride suspension transforms the car, it is a classy ride, it does not feel like a Commodore suspension. It absorbs bumps as if they were not there and sits flat and secure in a corner. Pedders claim that it is the equivalent of an FE2 suspension. It does not feel that hard.

Another mod that was on the vehicle that I had not seen before was solid knuckle swaybar link arms, no rubbers.

On a political note, when I lost my previous VX II ( crushed by a B Double ), I immediately purchase two cars. The VX II I posted on and a current model FG XR6 Falcon.

I have done 4,000 KLM's in the Commodore and 2,000 in the Falcon. The VX II is a good car that I apparently like driving more that a current Falcon XR6.

Cheers

Peter

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Another mod that was on the vehicle that I had not seen before was solid knuckle swaybar link arms, no rubbers..

Have you got any pic's of this I havn't see it before

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
Solid Sway Bar Link Rods

])R@G()N;1763635 said:

I will pull a wheel off, take a picture and try and post it .

It is probably a Pedders product.

PeterVX2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Equipe
])R@G()N;1763635 said:

This is the best picture I could manage.

Pedders were aware of this solid link, so it must be something they market.

Sway Bar Link-2.jpg

Cheers

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
The VX, I think series 2 had a little ball joint on one end of each link pin instead of the previous VT and early VX rubber or neoprene bushes. Is that what you are talking about? I was just looking at ads for them on ebay. Lots around. I think they were standard from GMH on the VX2 and later commodores. Results in less movement in the sway bar. Just going on a bit but needle roller bearings in the swaybar mounts would do a better job. Also be very expensive.