Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Freaking out!! Oil on top of gearbox?!

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
I've noticed lately my vx commodore v6 has been using the oil more often than usual, dipstick was just under add and low. and I pulled it in the yard last night and popped the bonnet and I could see splashed oil all over the gearbox and back end part of the engine bay.. a bit scary is this my main manifold gasket or something worse? Cheers anyone would could help a girl out..

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
pretty common, the top seal between the inlet gaskets prob is leaking, could also be pcv valve not working well enough so pressure is fed past the seal.

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Thanks heaps, if it's the top seal do I have to change any of my fluids or anything else after changing gaskets or it's okay?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As said above manifold most likely needs to come off, common place for Eco's and Buicks to leak from. Need to drop the coolant. If the coolant is fairly new you can try to catch it and reuse it, if you filter it through a rag. About 1.5hrs to tear it down and about 3hrs to put it back together, as clean up takes over an hour.

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
First check for bubbles or oil in your coolant.... If found then don't drive anywhere until you've fixed the problem.... Then do a compression test (the tool costs like $30ish online) ... As far as I'm aware anything else isn't as urgent or scary? Just keep her topped up until you fix it...

I'm no expert! I've just been doing most of my own work for years and I read all my workshop manuals .. If I'm wrong then somebody tell me please?! :)

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Thanks heaps everyone.
I'll update when I find out the problem. got the car out the back now so I'll sus everything better first thing in the morning. Also might have lost my oil sensor because I never got an oil light when it was almost completely out?

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Does the brake booster run to the pcv valve? Because now I'm hearing air sucked back or out either one, everytime I push my brake on... even in park? Bit confused now

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's a different problem again, possibly the booster.

Stef-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 02' + 97 vt commodore
Must be something to do with when I installed it then, because it had no brakes when I brought the car, so I put a vy brake booster into the vx. I'm trying to see if it's just something simple I forgot like loose nut or hose, but I'm not having much luck at the moment, I can hear the noise when bonnets popped and cars running, seems like it is coming from area near the booster
Maybe a line or something?