Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

free air sub

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
G'day all,

I've got a mate who wants to put a sub and amp in his boot, but isn't willing to sacrafice any boot space for it.

What are your opinions on this:
Free-air sub

keep in mind he's not after anything incredible, just something that makes a bit of bass. Will this work alright?

Thanks.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I don't get it- your mate really wants a sub, but he doesnt want to sacrifice any boot space, well then he shouldn't be after a sub then should he?? Like saying hey i wanna slam my car but i dont want it to ever scrape or bottom out!!

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
There's no reason why he can't be after a sub. He just wants to know his options as far as saving the most bootspace he can.

Did you take a look at the link? it can be done. But i wanted to know how well it would work. Using the boot as a enclosure i imagine would be rather difficult, air and sound escaping throughout the boot.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
I used to run my pioneer 12" free air works great (apart from the rear quarters of the old HQ got soft from flexing all day).just make sure you get a sub that is able to be run free air youll be all good.

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
I used to run my pioneer 12" free air works great (apart from the rear quarters of the old HQ got soft from flexing all day).just make sure you get a sub that is able to be run free air youll be all good.

Cheers mate,

It was between free air or a slim line sub box. I think free air is the way to go

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
If you go a free air setup, your gonna need a more powerful setup to achieve the same sort of results as if you were to use a ported/sealed setup. You'll lose both clarity and power going a free air setup. And it will most likely cost more aswell. Yes it can be done, but i don't think you'll find many car audio nuts that would reccomend it-

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
If you go a free air setup, your gonna need a more powerful setup to achieve the same sort of results as if you were to use a ported/sealed setup. You'll lose both clarity and power going a free air setup. And it will most likely cost more aswell. Yes it can be done, but i don't think you'll find many car audio nuts that would reccomend it-

Yeah i thought the same, would prob need to sound deaden the boot. but with the right gear i can see it being amazing... bigger box, bigger boom. well a boot is a pretty freakin big box

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Quote: Bigger box, bigger boom, No-It doesent always work like that, the majority of decent subs, will state the ideal build inclosure dimensions, whether it be sealed or ported ect.. That amount of free air in your boot space, will exceed those dimesnsions.
Sound deadning won't even come into it

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
A bigger box can be a good thing, depending on:
1) The power given to the sub/s
2) The quality of the sub - a higher quality sub will usually have "stiff" suspension, and works better in a small-medium sized box. A cheaper sub will usually have a looser suspension and therefore will sound better in a bigger box.

Generally the free air type subs have a loose suspension as they are designed to be used with "extra large" enclosures (i.e. a boot). Just make sure the boot seals are good and sometimes it pays to put a peice of MDF in between the rear seats and the boot, effectively sealing off the boot from the inside of the car.

Free air subs arent that great, and some issues mounting the sub on the parcel shelf (assuming thats where it will be mounted): firstly you'll be attracting unwanted attention by would be thieves, and secondly if the windows arent tinted the subs will be eventually damaged by the sun.
But as you said, he's not after anything incredible. So its definately an option.
Another option would be a good set of 6x9s. If installed properly and given a decent amount of power (80+wrms) they will have more bass than a single 8-10" free air subwoofer, plus you get the added benefit of full range sound too ;)

Edit: The write-up youve provided in that link - cutting the metal in between the rear seats and the boot is actually illegal....and you can be defected for it if you come across a cop who has it in for you.

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Free air subs actually have tighter suspension due to the lack of air suspension of a large/inifinite box ;)