Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

French new owner in trouble

lepetitaustralien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V1 3.8 997
Hi i'm Vincent, pretty new on the forum even if i follow it since a while.

I'm French, traveling around australia and i bought a commodore some months ago.

I'm a bit worried because i don't know australian cars & laws...
I've got a VS Executive V6 3.8 auto with an exhaust system, big mouth air, & 17" wheels.

Here are some issues on my car:

1 - I've got 3 wheels exactly the same, but one is different, (not the same brand and "lines?" but same size)
2 - I think the previous owner has "hacked" the car, because of some strange wires from the ecu/cpu going to idontknowwhere (you know with tape etc)
3 - The car is f***ing high on petrol, I drive slowly, i don't floor it, trying to be the most economical possible, but WOW! I can fill it often.
4 - The car smells unburnt petrol and spread a lot of heat from underneath.

So: 1 - Do i need to change that different tire? (it's a bit slippery but ok) If yes, can i just change one? Could it be a part of high fuel consumption?
2 - Is that normal?
3 - I know commodores are not economical but this one is just awesome, do i need to clean injectors or something?
4 - I didn't see any leak.. Hum...
5 - What pressure in the tires? 3: Triangle 235/45r17 and the only one: Autogrip 235/45r17

I usually use unleaded 91, do i need more oct?
I forgot, there is one switch on the dashboard (i think added by the guy) with one wire to the earth and nothing else. ( ecu hack switch?)

I know that's a lot of questions and a bit confused and most of them got answers on the forum, but with all those different criters it's a bit hard to get it...
I'm also sorry for my bad english, i try to do my best...

If someone could help me by skype, phone or whatever, it could be the best! You can send private message if you want
It's hard for a poor french to understand all that stuff, electronics car and furthermore, in English!

I also hope i'm in the good section...

I can post pics for more informations!

Thanks by advance guys!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
The fuel smell would be the breathers on the fuel tank are perished. Behind the right wheel is a plate with 3 screws. Check them.
Maybe buy Oxygen sensors to assist in fuel usage. Don't cheap out on them. Go to Holden for these.

Regarding the tires, I would replace 2 as when you replace one the opposite side will be worn and won't match.
I don't think it would be a problem though. As long as it has similar tread.

Try 38psi in the 17s.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Australia.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Welcome.

I've got 3 wheels exactly the same, but one is different, (not the same brand and "lines?" but same size)
What pressure in the tires? 3: Triangle 235/45r17 and the only one: Autogrip 235/45r17
So: 1 - Do i need to change that different tire? (it's a bit slippery but ok) If yes, can i just change one? Could it be a part of high fuel consumption?
They're all the same size and profile so that isn't going to cause any major problems, both brands are cheap ones..... 38-40 psi would be best.
Technically the front 2 tires should be matched and the rear 2 tires should (brand/tread pattern), if there is an odd 1 out like you have it's best on the rear of the car and keep the front tires matched.

2 - I think the previous owner has "hacked" the car, because of some strange wires from the ecu/cpu going to idontknowwhere (you know with tape etc)
3 - The car is f***ing high on petrol, I drive slowly, i don't floor it, trying to be the most economical possible, but WOW! I can fill it often.
4 - The car smells unburnt petrol and spread a lot of heat from underneath.
Sounds like someone has been playing with things they don't understand. Best i can suggest here is to trace the wires back and find out what has been done and try to restore it back to factory.... easier said than done.....

2 - Is that normal?
It's not normal but the internet is full of ideas that people decide to try when they shouldn't..... it's probably a cheap $5 ebay performance "chip" installed

3 - I know commodores are not economical but this one is just awesome, do i need to clean injectors or something?
4 - I didn't see any leak.. Hum...

refer to reply above for 2

I usually use unleaded 91, do i need more oct?
I forgot, there is one switch on the dashboard (i think added by the guy) with one wire to the earth and nothing else. ( ecu hack switch?)

ulp/91 is fine, putting higher octane fuel in is only going to cost you more if it's running like this now
hard to say, no lights or other electronic devices turn on/off with the switch? it's not a hack... not much you can do the the cars ecu with a simple switch that would gain anything.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If your a lucky man; you may be able to walk into a "used tyre shop" and find a half used tyre of matching size/brand/tread as your current one and then only change the one. But will not be half as easy as switching to 2 new ones.

I would be addressing the fuel consumption/breathers issue first though.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Smells like fuel: check fuel hoses and clamps in engine bay

Lots of heat from underneath: That's pretty normal.

lepetitaustralien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V1 3.8 997
Wow thanks all you guys i didn't expect answers tonight!

I already did a check, but a basic check, as i haven't so much money here...
Tomorow i'll check the breathers ;)
Are already there O2 sensors? If yes could i just clean them?

thanks for the used tyres shop tip! I didn't know it exists here!

And yeah, lot of guys touch what they don't know..
Nope the swith do nothing, one plug behind the switch goes to earth, and the other plug is not connected but i cannot find any loosy wire...

Ok for the tires, but as it's different "lines/marks?", could not use more fuel?

Here some photos to better see what i mean (as it's hard to explain in english :) )

Different tires:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55579001/IMG_2315.JPG

The strange split wire:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55579001/IMG_2318.JPG

And the switch (notice the wonderful purple from the bogan)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55579001/IMG_2323.JPG

Hope I'm not annoying :)

Thanks!

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I was thinking possibly it could've been the famous dodgy earth fix for the O2 sensors but they are just earths and are black in colour...... Maybe could you trace that wire back to the plug and find out which pin it is and what it does? It will be numbered so should be easy to determine which wire does what but that could possibly just be power picked up for a sound system or something who knows, but I would be getting some carby cleaner spraying into throttle body cleaning the iac and tps (situated behind the Venturi or butterfly), listen for vacuum leaks, run along fuel lines checking condition of these hoses particularly around the charcoal canister (small cylindrical canister that's black) then the breathers and other lines from fuel tank, fuel filler neck and the Oring on fuel cap.... Easiest way to test these lines is to put weight on the fuel tank which will force air out any holes, listen for the sound of air escaping. These lines are famous for perishing. Definately change O2 sensors these are only $100 for a pair no need to go to Holden they're a Bosch part, change your fuel filter (behind rear wheel) if you don't know how to reco your injectors maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner? Heat is normal mine feels like its going to catch on fire!! Lol hope this helps you my friend

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
That switch.
Does the car have fog/driving lights?
That is where a holden switch would go.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride