Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

freshening up the 202?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
hey pplz, just wondering, im just thinking about freshening up my girlfriends Vb commodore, 202, red motor, so far im going to put a set of extractors (custom made by myself) 2.5" exhaust, single muffler, going to hone it out, new rings and bearings, get the head done up for gas, now im just wondering what sort of camshaft would be alright, want a nice noted lump, with a little power, anyone got any ideas of what brand, stage, and some rough prices?

cheers, nick

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I like & use crow cams, I dont know what you mean by stage, if you want a good cam recommendation I need the following info

What you want to do with the car, ie purpose of driving.
What gearbox your running or intend running
What diff ratio your running
wheel & tire size.

You work out a cam profile based on your gearing esp with a performance cam you want your power band to match your RPM drop between gear changes. Also to suit the driving your going to be doing.

Will you be running roller rockers?
What size valves do you plan to run in the head?
Will the head be ported?
Will the car ever run on petrol?

cheers
Scott

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
I gotta Mega Tork Stage 1 for a Black 202 project Engine I'm building.Dunno how it goes coz I haven't put the motor back together yet.The bloke at the Engine shop where I had my 202 hotted up suggested it.I had alot of work Engine work dun.$2,000 later & I'm still changing things & planning new mods before finally building it.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Give her a good service all over, if it's done so many k's :)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
As Scott said...

Check out the crow cams site. My next cam will be from there.

Check out the 202 pages for choosing a cam. The cam you choose depends on whether or not you need heavy duty valve springs or an engine upgrade to suit. You can order the cam through most auto joints including Autobarn. Expect ti pay up to or around 200 bucks for the cam.

http://www.crowcams.com.au/templates/Catalogue-Holden6.shtml

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
ok, vk berlina, thanks for the post, sorry took me so long to get back, been busy with work and styff,
well the car will just be a street car, but i am going to be driving it as well so i want a bit of grunt and a nice note to it
i got a 5 speed supra box and a 3.08 lsd, just running 235/45 r 17 mags

probably no roller rockers, but not sure yet, head will be ported and polished, not sure on valve sizes yet,
it will be run on petrol only until i get my gas setup ready to put in the car, need to get all the bits first, but once i get everything, it wil be straight gas

vh_commydore

Reaction score
i work as an engine recoer. and in my experiance when we build our gold star series motors, with valve, crank and cam upgrades. we always use crow cams on all our 186, 173, 202 and 3.3 motors. very good quility cams, especially with a nice lift on em

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
$200 for a cam upgrade? sounds mint, are you sure it ain't $2000

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
$200 for a cam upgrade? sounds mint, are you sure it ain't $2000

Yep. The cam I want for my 308 is about $185. Expect about the same for a 202. That is ordered through Autobarn. $2000 for a cam? You could buy a whole rebuilt motor for that.