Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fried ECM?

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hey guys

I am doing a manual conversion on my vr v6 and needed to swap my auto computer to a manual computer, I have a special memcal from dr bob for the conversion. I had to file the plugs on the loom down a bit to fit into the sockets on the manual computer.

I wasn't paying enough attention and I hadn't pushed the plugs in far enough and when i connected the battery there was a snap/crack noise, then when I went to start it its dead, no fuel pump prime no starter motor click nothing.

I pulled the manual computer out and put the memcal into the auto computer and the car starts fine.

Another bit of random information, I have a volts gauge that the previous owner installed, so not sure where it is connected to (its off somewhere up under the dash near the body control computer). With the auto computer it only works once you turn the key, but with the manual computer its always on? even without the key in the ignition.

So my question, have i fried the manual computer or do I need to change the wiring for the manual computer??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the vr auto and manual are wired totally different you need to repin the wires in the plugs or you feed power in the wrong pins and POOOF so ide say its dead if you just plugged it in after only filing the locators off.if useing the vr manual ecu there should of been no need for a special memcal that should only be needed to run the manual on the auto ecu

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Ok thanks, guess thats what I get for mucking around with things I don't understand lol.

I'm going to see if I can run it with the auto computer then.