Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

from aussie four speed to turbo 350 into vh commodore sedan

REDVHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore ss
hi all
I am swapping the vh ss to a auto(turbo 350) just needing to know what is different (the block is already turbo pattern)
Mainly, is the tail shaft or gearbox mount different (angle) as it seams to bolt up . also what gear shift rod do I use ( I have changed the floor plate etc to standard type but don't have the connector rod to gearbox) any help would be great thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If block is already turbo pattern what bellhousing & bolt pattern was m21 or different engine?

REDVHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore ss
If block is already turbo pattern what bellhousing & bolt pattern was m21 or different engine?
using same engine( turbo block) aussie four speed had a dellow bell housing

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That makes sense now...for parts your just going to have to chase up gumtree & fb marketplace for bits that Dellow,CRS etc don't have.

REDVHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore ss
That makes sense now...for parts your just going to have to chase up gumtree & fb marketplace for bits that Dellow,CRS etc don't have.
Do U know if the tail shaft and rear cross member is different as I have bolted them up and seem ok but I am worried about the tail shaft angle ( if there is a difference or not)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It's all hit or miss nowadays can't scavenge what you want at wreckers or trading post.

Trimatic/m21 crossmembers are same...no idea if they bolt straight up or just mount change or simple mod...either way nothing major because can buy aftermarket crossmember & speedo cable to suit.

Tailshaft is pot luck as far as I know th400 & probably th350 have long & short extension housings so you're not going to know untill it's all bolted up unless you bought complete th350/tailshaft/shifter that came out of an early girl....again not hard to get tailshaft modified.

The shifter may prove to be tricky part but I think th350 selector shaft on passenger side & commodore trimatic shifter same side...whether or not trimatic or th700 selector rod will work or require mods you wont know untill it's all bolted up.

Answer is how long is piece of string....if it bolts on & lines up ok then it should work out ok

REDVHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore ss
Thanks for your help - so far I have been lucky as my tail shaft fits perfect ( must have the correct length gearbox) - I ordered a crs cross member but doesn’t fit very well so I have taken photos and sent them to crs for a review . The gear shift is original and I lengthened the select rod by approx 85mm . New speedo cable and 90 degree drive all looks good . So I just have to wait on crs