Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

From South Africa - advice on Commodore Sportwagon

Zamunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Hey everyone

I am from South Africa and planning on moving over to Adelaide towards the end of the year.

I have been looking at cars to buy and I quite like the Commodore sportwagon. It suits the family and my two doggies :)

Particularly interested in the 2010 MY10, 3.0L, 6speed Auto model. Felt this would be a lot more fuel economical compared to the older 4speed auto box. My wife's family lives in Melbourne so could be doing road trips now and then.

Most of the used Sportwagons I have looked at (suitable for my budget) have around 90,000 to 120,000km on the clock. We do not have Commedores here and would like your thoughts on used Sportwagons with this kind of mileage.

At what mileage do these cars start becoming expensive to maintain?

Also, is it possible to purchase extended warranties on used Commodores and where can I buy from?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hi
Firstly the SV6's come in a 3.6ltr not 3.ltr, I would go the 3.6ltr
Secondly, for a car with that many Ks on it, you would want to get it real cheap.
I have an SV6 sportwagon 2011 series 2, great car, but only has 30000 ks on it, still fairly new, but have no idea what it would be like with 130000ks.
I also have a VY 03 model with a 3.8Ltr ecotech, 120000ks on the clock and if I was forced to make a choice on which 1 car I could have, it would be the VY for sure. Simpler, can be worked on easily by yourself, and they are a great car. I do service my cars regularly, actually i am a maintanance freak, oils changes every 5000ks etc, etc.
So for the money a good used VY 03 04 model with 120000-150000ks will cost around 6000dollars, much better. leaves more funds for mods

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
He didn't mention anything about an SV6 or 3.6L. He's asking about either an Omega or Berlina with the 3.0L.

If you're looking to do road trips and willing to stretch your budget a little bit then go for the Calais which is more of a luxury model but comes with the 3.6L.
As long as it's been serviced well and when it's supposed to then it doesn't really matter how many K's are on it. So look for a model that has a good service record.

Don't bother buying used from a dealership, you're much better off buying privately. Plenty of stories on here about their poor service about warranty and drama's about the cars not long after purchasing them.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Welcome to the forum , the 3.6 sport wagon is a good car and would be a perfect family car for you , if you have the extra cash go for a V8 model , that would be a good cruiser for the drive to Melbourne from Adelaide , just an aside where about's in South Africa are you from , I am originally from Cape Town , so again welcome in mate . :beer chug:

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Hey man, welcome to the forum.

The VE's are good cars! The 3.0L engine is quite good as well as economical.

Tbh, I wouldn't be looking at a VE with that many K's!

Also, the VF will be released by the time you move here, so the price for VEs will drop a lot!

If you can stretch your budget though, I would look at getting the 3.6L SV6 or Calais Sport-wagon. Sv6 and Calais have alot more options over the Omega and Berlina.

Also, try get a Series 2. Series 2 has the color screen IQ unit over the Series 1.

Kinng

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
The 3.0 litres are not economical by a long shot. My work 3.0 averages between 12 to 15 litres per 100, mixed cycle. The lack of torque kills it, which means you need to give it a bootful to do anything but cruise on the freeway. Stretch the budget, go the 3.6 at least.

Zamunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Thanks everyone for your advice. Much appreciated.

Will keep looking out and be better informed to make a decision once we get there.

Zamunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
...... just an aside where about's in South Africa are you from , I am originally from Cape Town , so again welcome in mate . :beer chug:

Hey there

I am from Pretoria. But spent quite a number of years in Botswana.

Would love to have a V8, but with the horrible exchange rate of R10 to the AU$, have to work on a budget and most likely go for the 3.0 or the 3.6.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Hopefully meet up one day soon.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
G'day I had a 2005 VZ 3.6L sedan - lovely car, did Darwin to Melbourne twice a year.
When the 3.0 SIDI with 6-speed auto came out, it was very well reviewed, especially the economy.
I got a 2010 (Feb) sedan at auction in Dec 1010, with 67,000 on the Odo, for $17,750.
It has now done 145,000; I've driven Darwin to Melbourne four times; it is my "daily drive" (I have two children); and I am extremely happy with it.
I'd point out that I paid for the car, and I pay for all the petrol and maintenance. "Work cars" are a different species altogether, in my experience.

There is one busy intersection near my home that I often have to do a right turn, from a standing start, facing a Give-Way sign, across six lanes at 80kph.
At peak hour, opportunities are few and far between. I would describe to 3.0 SIDI as milliseconds slower than the 3.6.
On the highway, the 3.0 gets 200km more per tankful than the 3.6. Katherine to Tennant Creek is 675km, and all high-speed (130 kph limit, with only three villages along the way), and the 3.0 uses 61 litres. The 3.6 required a top-up along the way.
If you're contemplating Adelaide to Melbourne trips, in my experience, the 3.0 will get you from the cheap petrol on the outskirts of one, to the cheap petrol on the outskirts of the other, without a top-up. Mind you, that's one of the most boring trips in Australia, and I welcome a break.
The 3.0 has ample grunt for overtaking.

I read some of the criticisms posted above, and I wonder if some people really know how to drive.

For reasons that I find difficult to understand, it is very expensive to fit a towbar to any VE (over $1,000). The 3.0 is only rated at 1,200kg towing capacity.
If you find one for sale with a towbar already fitted, that would be a big plus.

Best wishes for the big move !