Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

From South Africa - advice on Commodore Sportwagon

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The 3.0 litres are not economical by a long shot. My work 3.0 averages between 12 to 15 litres per 100, mixed cycle. The lack of torque kills it, which means you need to give it a bootful to do anything but cruise on the freeway. Stretch the budget, go the 3.6 at least.

Be honest, you're thrashing that pant's off it aren't you?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1

He probably isn't. It really depends on the type of driving your doing.

We own a VE SV6 SIDI and it averaged 7.8L per 100 over 2700k of driving up to QLD and back!!!

BUT around town my wife cant get any better than 16L per 100 but its a lot of stop start driving and an average of only 20kph!

What some people call city driving is so much different to what others class it as!

Zamunda

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
G'day I had a 2005 VZ 3.6L sedan - lovely car, did Darwin to Melbourne twice a year.
When the 3.0 SIDI with 6-speed auto came out, it was very well reviewed, especially the economy.
I got a 2010 (Feb) sedan at auction in Dec 1010, with 67,000 on the Odo, for $17,750.
It has now done 145,000; I've driven Darwin to Melbourne four times; it is my "daily drive" (I have two children); and I am extremely happy with it.
I'd point out that I paid for the car, and I pay for all the petrol and maintenance. "Work cars" are a different species altogether, in my experience.

There is one busy intersection near my home that I often have to do a right turn, from a standing start, facing a Give-Way sign, across six lanes at 80kph.
At peak hour, opportunities are few and far between. I would describe to 3.0 SIDI as milliseconds slower than the 3.6.
On the highway, the 3.0 gets 200km more per tankful than the 3.6. Katherine to Tennant Creek is 675km, and all high-speed (130 kph limit, with only three villages along the way), and the 3.0 uses 61 litres. The 3.6 required a top-up along the way.
If you're contemplating Adelaide to Melbourne trips, in my experience, the 3.0 will get you from the cheap petrol on the outskirts of one, to the cheap petrol on the outskirts of the other, without a top-up. Mind you, that's one of the most boring trips in Australia, and I welcome a break.
The 3.0 has ample grunt for overtaking.

I read some of the criticisms posted above, and I wonder if some people really know how to drive.

For reasons that I find difficult to understand, it is very expensive to fit a towbar to any VE (over $1,000). The 3.0 is only rated at 1,200kg towing capacity.
If you find one for sale with a towbar already fitted, that would be a big plus.

Best wishes for the big move !

Thanks very much. You pretty much confirmed what I thought of the vehicle. :spot on:

I currently have a Navara D40 V6 4L with a 5 speed auto box. It gives me 8km/litre on the long runs. So the Commodore with the 6 speed auto box should do much better.

Heard the VF is being launched this month. So hopefully the price of a VE would be down a bit more by the time I get there.

Thanks everyone!!!

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute

Not when it's tracked by GPS. The lack of torque absolutely kills these engines unless you're constantly on the freeway!