Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Brakes Grind

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Just out of no where seem to have a grind noise on passenger side front brake

Only occurs when car comes to a stop and brakes are on full lock and the weight of car is taken

i took wheel off and took pads out, inspected, didnt see anything, cleaned with brake cleaner.

Plenty of padding left, brake fluid is full

took her round the block, hit breaks hard, ABS seem to engage

maybe pads just need that red paint on back?

checked strut top is tight

if it was bushes or arms, the noise would appear when turning, going over bumps?

VY v6 series 2

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Has it got a metal inner guard if it does might be bent in a little and touching disc also check to see if wear indicators are coming up past the meat on the pad you might be just beginning to hit the wear indicators why you only hear it when braking

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you take a photo of the pads? Sometimes pads get noisy if you only drive to the shops and don't get the brakes warm enough or do any heavy braking. Might just need a good drive to warm up brakes. Suspension should not make grinding noise.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Grinding noises could also have been caused by a small rock that got caught up in the rotating bits. So when you pulled things apart the little offender escaped and no more noise :p

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
thanks guys, the pads are about 1.5 years old, had easily 6mm left on them

took her around the block after checking, seem to be fine, but after 20 odd braking test the grind returned as i came back home

will check the inner guard thanks ant797

am thinking maybe swapping the rotors from 1 side to the other see if noise moves, even the pads maybe too lol

its 40 degrees here in radelaide today not too keen o get under it

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
This is strange because my front brakes do exactly the same thing and have done so ever since i replaced the rotors about 4 years back the only thing that was different was the brand of rotors.
Did you happen to get caught like i did with the rotors you wanted/asked for not being available and getting some unknown brand?
if your brakes are anything like mine you will get random grinding noises always when you are pulling up to stop at red lights/stop signs but drive off and the next time you brake back to normal.

Just a little addition i always use bendix general ct pads and when i replaced my nearly new rotors due to warping by a tyre shop using a rattlegun on my front wheels i replaced the pads as well.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
More likely the pads making the noise I'd say. What brand pads are they?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
More likely the pads making the noise I'd say. What brand pads are they?

Agree.

Just a little addition i always use bendix general ct pads and when i replaced my nearly new rotors due to warping by a tyre shop using a rattlegun on my front wheels i replaced the pads as well.

How the hell does using a rattle gun to tighten wheel nuts warp disc brake rotors???
I've had the usual over-tightening of wheel nuts with a rattle gun by various tyre shops, so f****** tight in fact that one time I had a puncture even the RACQ roadside assist technician had to resort to some additional leverage from a breaker bar. Normally I am able to change out a flat tyre but on this occasion I had to call for help.
The disc brake rotors however did not suffer any ill consequences of this over tightening.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I had not long put on new rotors to fix a shudder in the front while braking, new rotors no shudder.
Drove the car to the local tyrepower store for them to perform a wheel alignment as well as them putting the 2 tyres and wheels that they balanced for me, that were nearly brand new on a set of factory mags i had bought so i had a factory mag as a spare drove the car away from the tyrepower the shudder was back put another new set of rotors on shudder gone once more.

Since both holden and bendix recommend not using rattleguns to tighten wheel nuts there must be something in it

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
i took her to gym and back yesterday

then to pub n back last night

didnt hear it at all yesterday.....weird

i bought repco rotors and pads haha theyve been great, i put them on myself about 18 months ago

rattle gun or not a mechanic is supposed to check with tension wrench after

im thinking maybe the piston playing up a bit, or needs more red stuff on the pads, or maybe the ABS has a fault?