Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front de-mist and A/C controls

ST4s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 95 Berlina
Howdy, has any one sorted out how to have the front window de-mister/ Fan on without having the A/C on, this really bugs me on the fuel econy side of things, seems pointless the have the A/C going just to de-mist the front windscreen, is there a simple or complex way off by passing the a/c on this function? cheers 95 VS Berlina

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just press the A/C button next to the hazard light button - that will turn the A/C off.
You may find the demist will not work as well because the A/C dries the air which allows the demist to de-mist.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
As pointed out out above, the air conditioner is not just to cool you down but to dehumidify the air. Turning the air con to demist the windows is the most effective of doing this.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Good question ST4s as the VS Berlina has climate control and so the a/c can not be simply switched off unless there is some other way. True that the a/c dehumidifies the air, but it is still annoying to have it running.

Panelvan1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs HSV Clubsport 185i
Press the little button that says "AC" which will make it go into manual mode. AC can be switched on or off this way.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
stop telling him to turn the A/C off it doesn't work, if you press the windscreen demist button on climate control cars you cannot (well to my knowledge so far) turn off the A/C, as soon as its on any other vent its ok to turn off but when in windscreen demist its almost like an auto setting. If you it does turn off it removes the wee demist icon.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe this is a way of overcoming this problem:

In the VS owners manual it says for vehicles with Climate Control:

"Demist "bleed". A small air flow from the demist vents is provided in all modes"

So from that I'd figure that you just select a mode other than "demist" and turn the A/C off, a small airflow will still be going to the demist vents.

Hope this helps.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
stop telling him to turn the A/C off it doesn't work, if you press the windscreen demist button on climate control cars you cannot (well to my knowledge so far) turn off the A/C, as soon as its on any other vent its ok to turn off but when in windscreen demist its almost like an auto setting. If you it does turn off it removes the wee demist icon.

You tell him (coz you are right) :yeah: