Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front door actuator

Johnlive

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 07
Why right hand front door actuated not working so I took it out got a second hand one plugged it in same problem not working now I don't have an altimeter or one of those electronic devices that see if you've got power maybe I should get one but anyway I thought what if I unplug the left-hand side front door actuator and plug it into the actuator that's not working theoretically it should work but it didn't. So I'm thinking I must have got another dud actuator so I found another second-hand one and plugged it in to the right hand side driver's door and loandbehold it's not working!! next idea next idea from this dumbass logical thinker that has fixed cars before but I ain't no mechanic or auto electrician I'm just wondering how me putting the actuator that I thought was not working on the left hand front door that is working the plug is identical to the right hand side same pins actuator is identical to the old one.... or should I take both of the actuator as I've pulled out and bring them to an auto electrician so he can test in to see if they're ok thanks for listening be happy to hear anyone having a simple fix for just telling me that I should bring it to the auto electrician to get fixed thank you

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ve buried this thread in the wrong place. Also what car are you talking about?

Johnlive

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 07
thanks for the reply first time on here sorry the car is am talking about is a VE Commodore Omega 07

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi John

You can simply apply 12 v from the battery directly to the actuator and to do a function test. Just make sure you have the polarity correct. If it/they function then the problem is likely to be in the connector or loom. Check for power at the connector with a multimeter or test light (you can purchase both from Super Cheap or Repco). You want to probe into the socket from the back to contact the wire and from the front as well to see if you have power at both or either side. If you have it on one side and not the other the connector has failed and then work you way back up the loom until you find the issue - checking for continuity along the way.

You really need a wiring diagram to tackle this if it is further back than the connector. It could also be the something wrong in the BCM (not likely - but possible/) To check this you need to locate a scan tool that can actuate the individual modules and their attachments,

Electrickery isn't too difficult to diagnose most of the time - but you need the right tools. If you don't have them a trip to the auto sparkie is probably a cheap way out.

I trust this points you in the right direction.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
To back probe the wiring from the back of the plugs, use a sewing needle bent at a 45°.

You push the needle in under the seal around the wire and into the metal connector.

Attach a multimeter clamp to it. Make sure it doesn’t touch on metal.

Johnlive

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 07
Hi John

You can simply apply 12 v from the battery directly to the actuator and to do a function test. Just make sure you have the polarity correct. If it/they function then the problem is likely to be in the connector or loom. Check for power at the connector with a multimeter or test light (you can purchase both from Super Cheap or Repco). You want to probe into the socket from the back to contact the wire and from the front as well to see if you have power at both or either side. If you have it on one side and not the other the connector has failed and then work you way back up the loom until you find the issue - checking for continuity along the way.

You really need a wiring diagram to tackle this if it is further back than the connector. It could also be the something wrong in the BCM (not likely - but possible/) To check this you need to locate a scan tool that can actuate the individual modules and their attachments,

Electrickery isn't too difficult to diagnose most of the time - but you need the right tools. If you don't have them a trip to the auto sparkie is probably a cheap way out.

I trust this points you in the right direction.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
thanks very much for that I'll try doing that if I can't get it right I will take it to the auto electrician you've been very helpful thanks again