Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front end part, what is it, and how to install?

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
in my vs commodore im looking for a name of this part in the front end, it is a rod at the back of the strut and goes down which supports like a u shape bar around the front end, the u shap[e bar has poped up from its placement on the rod and wont to buy a new rod and bushes, what is this called. and is it hard to put in at home, my step dad believes that it is easy? hope someone can help, cheers
Steak000

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It sounds like you are trying to describe the stabilizer bar links. One each side, with 2 rubberf insulators and two thin steel washers at each end?

These are a commonly worn out part from Holdens. Quite cheap to buy two kits, so that you can replace both sides at the same time. They come complete with the rod, all nuts, rubbers and washers.

They can be replaced at home. You need to jack the car up and have both wheels off the ground. Remove nuts from lower end of links on both sides. Pull stabilizer bar down clear of the link, then remove upper nuts and rubbers.

Installation is a reverse procedure. Doing the bottom nuts up can be a mongrel - you might need to jack the stabilizer bar up a bit to give enough clearance to start the nuts going back on.

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
thanks mate for the tips, is ir recomended to replace both sides?? and to at least do one do i need to any way drop both sides to pull down stabilazing bar??

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yes and yes.
ALWAYS do both sides at the same time.
whenever i need to pull my swaybar out i just take it off completely, when the link rods are undone on the swaybar end, undo the 2 front swaybar bolts, remove them completely, and (whilst holding the bar with one hand) loosen the 2 rear bolts. no need to remove them, the brackets slide off the bolts.

putting it all back together, i put the link rods on the swaybar while it's off the car (even loosely is ok) and wiggle the bar to fit the links through the strut mounts