Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end rattle

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Hey i have a 91 vp, its got knock/rattle in the left front..

Could it be steering rack ? Or something to do with suspension, it also shudders when u turn hard right..

Wat could it be?

pai834

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
Does it do it when you go over bumps too? Check the struts, I just replaced mine when I had a knock kinda like what you are describing.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Have a look at your castor rod bushes.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Could be: Ball joints on bottom A-arm, castor rod bushes, tie rod (steering link to stub axle) ends, strut (shocks).
Jack the car up on the appropriate side following owners manual or workshop manual directions and common sense in order not to die. ie chock rear wheels, use proper jacking point, dont stand the jack up on bricks to get more lift, preferably put spare wheel under sill as life preserver, use chassis stands etc.
Leave the road wheel on for leverage and see where you can find play in the suspension shoving it with your foot if necessary with someone holding the steering wheel steady.
Next take the wheel off and use a large pry bar or wheel brace to lever on stub axle and find out what's going on.
Most suspension parts should be changed as pairs ie left and right side at the same time to preserve symmetry in front end.
Most parts are available as change overs to avoid having to press in bushes or you can take the parts to pedders and they'll supply the new bushes and fit them to the component for reasonable price.
Don't assume you can press in bushes with a vice, you might stuff them. Ball joints best done as change over A arm, comes with new bushes too that way.
If your struts are stuffed either get the work done or get a service manual and follow safety directions closely (rather than catch the spring with your face)
Good luck mate.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check your swaybar link pin bushes too.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I had a similar noise turned out to be a passenger seat bolt had come a little loose from the floor and when I had a passenger it made the noise which i definately thought was the front left suspension (fitted s1 statesnman seats about 6 months ago), tightened it up with loctite and its good now. just something to check if you can't find any other problems hehe.