Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end tramps when turning right

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Walkinshaw HRT Tribute
ZB RS. Brought the car second hand. We have fitted lowered king springs, and 20 inch alloys. When you are on the open road, anything up over 80kph, if you enter a right hand corner and hit any sort of bump or undulations, the whole front end tramps. It's very unnerving, and doesn't feel nice at all. Anybody had had similar issue? I've had it back to the dealer and they have replaced the front shocks. I'm ready to fit the standard springs back into it and see how it goes.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
No such issues with my RSV though the RSV has a different strut to the RS.

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you know if the rsv struts are interchangeable with the rs?

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bummer. The rs has the standard Macpherson strut set up. I'll report back after the standard suspension is refitted.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The rs with the v6 option can have the hiperstrut optioned.
I am not sure if they automatically include it with the v6 option but it does specify it is only available with the v6 option.

I would definitely try the original springs again and if it goes away the lowered springs might be causing something to flip out with the electronic safety systems or it might be causing a mechanical issue.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I think there's another threat where someone wasn't happy with the effect of lowering an RSV (V 6) either. I'd agree these cars might look a little better lowered, but they don't have a heap of ground clearance as delivered, and actually handle quite well already for what they are. That said, I wonder if you could describe the 'tramping' in a little more detail? Usually tramping is used to describe loss of traction causing the wheels to slip/grip and the suspension bouncing up and down as a result... Does it only do it on right hand corners? If so would suggest that the spring/shock combo might not necessarily be the root cause. Or is it only if accelerating?

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey. The tramping is exactly as you described. Much like trying to do a burnout and the wheels jump up and down?? Axle tramp? It will do it at a steady pace when turning. It only needs the smallest bump to set off the tramping. My gut feeling is that the king springs don't work with the factory struts (couldn't find any aftermarket options) or this car has had a major smack and has been repaired. Although it does measure up square....

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey. The tramping is exactly as you described. Much like trying to do a burnout and the wheels jump up and down?? Axle tramp? It will do it at a steady pace when turning. It only needs the smallest bump to set off the tramping. My gut feeling is that the king springs don't work with the factory struts (couldn't find any aftermarket options) or this car has had a major smack and has been repaired. Although it does measure up square....
And it predominantly only happens when turning right, anywhere from 75kph upward

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did you have the wheel alignment done afterwards?