Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end tramps when turning right

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
You're going to need better than std shocks to run 20inch rims and lowered springs. Kings lowered springs are usually pretty stiff.
You've got a stiffer spring, and a heavier wheel/tyre combo that the std shock can't control

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Walkinshaw HRT Tribute
Yeah I agree. Problem is that there is no aftermarket options for the rs model.....

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The ZB is very well set up from the factory in my opinion. Any changes to the suspension are not likely to improve the cars ride and handling.

If you want a better handling ZB buy a VXR with its 20 inch rims and magnetic dampers.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
The ZB is very well set up from the factory in my opinion. Any changes to the suspension are not likely to improve the cars ride and handling.

If you want a better handling ZB buy a VXR with its 20 inch rims and magnetic dampers.

I only ever test drove VXRs before I bought one. Initially for a first drive I'd arranged to drive a RS-V but after we sat in it the sales guy said they had a VXR I could drive instead, so we drove that. My somewhat biased opinion is that the VXR rides better because of the active damping, but it's quite a hefty beast and you feel it when you load it up in fast sweepers. I'd suggest a better handling ZB would be the RS 2.0L with better weight distribution.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I agree the better weight distribution is worth something and the 2.0 L turbo is generally recognised as being a particularly sweet package. I feel the AWD system on the RSV and VXR makes up for the weight distribution with the torque vectoring to the outside rear wheel in a turn. Then you add in the active damping and the low profile tyres.

I haven't driven a 2.0l enough to make a fair comparison and haven't driven the VXR, so my comments have to be taken with that in mind.

Slick7g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Walkinshaw HRT Tribute
Well, today I removed the king springs, and fitted very low km factory front springs and shocks, and rear springs and shocks. After comparing the king spring vs factory spring, it's very evident they are very different. So thought I was on a winner. Off on my road test and thought we had nailed it.... but sadly no.... still tramps, nowhere near as bad, but still there. I'm deeply disappointed that the zb platform does not accept lower profile tyres. Never had this issue with previous commodore. Obviously very different vehicles. I will be selling the zb now, and going back to a vf 2 sv6

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Well, today I removed the king springs, and fitted very low km factory front springs and shocks, and rear springs and shocks. After comparing the king spring vs factory spring, it's very evident they are very different. So thought I was on a winner. Off on my road test and thought we had nailed it.... but sadly no.... still tramps, nowhere near as bad, but still there. I'm deeply disappointed that the zb platform does not accept lower profile tyres. Never had this issue with previous commodore. Obviously very different vehicles. I will be selling the zb now, and going back to a vf 2 sv6

The profile of the tyre should not matter as long as the rolling diameter matches what the vehicle is programed/tuned for.
If you want lower profile get a bigger rim so the diameter matches what was on the vehicle from the factory.

I would suspect the tramping might be something to do with the awd tc/esc system.

To see if it is esc/tc press and hold the tc disable button until it says esc disabled on the dash then see if it still tramps.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
What profile tyre did you want. They fit 20 inch rims on the ZB platform.

I seriously think your problem is not typical of a ZB. Good luck finding a VF SV6 that handles any better than the ZB. I reckon my VY S handles better than a VE/VF.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe the wheel aligner has set it to factory spec and not allowed for larger rims. The settings change according to wheel size. Take it someone that knows what they're doing.