Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end work

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
VP is due for rego check in 4 weeks or so. Went in for wheel align and front end check expecting some bad news but the word is that she only needs driver's side rack end and tie-rod replaced prior to alignment. Estimate of $300 (without checking parts cost) including alignment. I am thinking I might do the rack end and tie-rod myself as I will save on parts and the labour cost (estimate 1 hour = $100). I will also need a new centre muffler, tyres, and possibly engine mounts (I have these already but not looking forward to putting them in) so wanting to save a bit where I can.
Any tricks to replacing rack end and tie-rod? I've looked on-line at parts and am wary of the cheapest. Any suggestions?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
By rack end you mean bellows? Just remember to count the turns on each tie rod end and if you have a vernier measure from the tie rod end to a fixed point such as the end of the rack. Replace the ends and adjust to get the same distance. I still paid $50 for a realignment when I had finished- cheaper than good tyres.
I used TRW tie rod ends and Oetiker bellows- quality looked OK for aftermarket parts.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
thanks Mike. By rack end I mean the part that screws onto the end of the steering rack. The tie rod then threads onto the rack end. Maybe by bellows you mean boot? I will get an alignment after because I know it's out now.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go and visit your local Repco/Bursons and price shop there. They stock good quality parts for the most part, especially on driveline/steering stuff. Shouldnt be more than $150 in parts?

There's a thread on here aswell that should help with the engine mount part.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you mean the tierod end Rob? If you get one try and find one you can grease they last way longer than those you cant grease.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Yes Losh, I do mean tie-rod END. My mistake. I'll look for one with a grease nipple

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rack end is easy to do....Straighten out the tab that is at the end of the part and with a shifter, undo it.

Tierod end is easy too....

I did both side rack ends and tie rod ends on my VC 2 months ago....Start to finish took me 1/2 hour...Parts were under $100, with the grease nipples in the tie rod ends, so getting charged $300 from a mechanic is a rip off

finally, it seems people don't realise a rack has 3 replaceable parts....1 is called a tie rod end, 1 is called a rack end and the 3rd being the rack boot