Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front mounted come racing air cleaner

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I'm looking for a front mounted air cleaner for a come racing twin throttle body. An air cleaner
on it's own would be okay but I would prefer one on a pod. I have seen a picture of one, possibly it was a one off.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Isn't the front designed so it takes a chevy TPI mani front facing aircleaner?
I am using the elbow and Mace airbow. But would also consider this option one day in the future.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the elbow and Mace airbox as well. The Chevy front facing aircleaner does look like it would fit.
Someone in the states asked Marlon Davis from Hot Rod magazine the same question for a Chevy.
His response was that although it tidied up the engine bay for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter
would equate to 1 degree loss of power. He used as an example an 80 degree outside temperature
would equal 150 degree in the engine bay and therefore a 7% power loss. As he said why shoot
yourself in the foot.
Bit of a pity as unless you could rig up a cold air intake it would not be worth doing. For me the
purpose was to have a tidier looking engine bay so I might give that one a miss

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get rid of the mechanical fan, lean the radiator back and then make your own OTRCAI to suit ;)

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get rid of the mechanical fan, lean the radiator back and then make your own OTRCAI to suit ;)
The mechanical fan went years ago. Might look at leaning the radiator back, thanks for that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need to make fill in plates that seal the sides of the radiator to the original radiator support panel otherwise the air will flow around the radiator. Use the panels to mount the radiator and you solve 2 problems in one go. Also, once you have made a OTRCAI you need to make a top panel to cover the gap at the top of the radiator for the same reason as the 2 side plates. Don't forget to use rubber mounts on the new side mounts to keep the radiator insulated and not become a conductor which can cause electrolysis and stuff the radiator.