Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front right tyre scrubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The outside edge on my right tyre is scrubbing and I noticed the rear one has too. Now I'd say the rear had already worn on that edge before it was rotated. Just curious at why this would be occurring? I get alignments around 6 monthly and it is always out a tiny bit. The passenger side is fine. I have had safety inspections done. The first time the left TRE was fucked it was so bad it would just fall over when it came off. It even had up and down movement. The right TRE has been replaced before I bought it, unless the factory ones had grease nipples. Mech reckons it's ok for an old bus and nothing to worry about. Appreciate thoughts?

Last edited:

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
if the suspension components are OK, like bearing or tierod ends, it could be a bit too much toe-in.
if it was wearing on the "inner" edge it would be toe-out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
if the suspension components are OK, like bearing or tierod ends, it could be a bit too much toe-in.
if it was wearing on the "inner" edge it would be toe-out.

I'm thinking something has to be worn. I wheel align at least twice a year and it stills scrubs the outside edge, the last report I believe should suggest that the inside should be wearing but it's the outside and only on the right. Trouble is the mech hasn't identified the worn component on that side. He was 100% when he inspected the ute a few years ago and told me all the problems i needed to sort as all the components (CA bushes and left TRE) which I did replace, as they were worn out. I am coming up short on figuring out what component is causing the wear. I would have NFI how to tell if a rack was the issue. I could tell if a TRE was worn but it does mean for me disconnecting it to have a feel and there is no guarantee it will come off easily without a ball joint separator. Crow bar and sledge hammer didn't work on the left side. It took a BFH hitting the BJ down from the top to get it out.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just the way it is with commodores on full lock, It could be many reasons for it, lowered springs, worn struts or strut support mount, worn lower control arm bush, most vr are known for little scrubbing..

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i had this (inners not outers) after an amateur hour alignment (local mechanic).

get it checked out by some experts like Fulcrum suspension.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I had an old car that would continually scrub one outer tyre edge while all other tyres would wear correctly... I went through front left tyres at a silly rate. I’d get full wheel alignment done each time but nothing could be identified as bent or worn.

Finally went to a wheel alignment place that did large trucks. These guys seemed to really know what they were doing. They hooked the car up to their machine and actually diagnosed a bent left lower control arm. Replaced the lower control arm and all was ok.

I later realised the bent lower control arm must have occurred when I had previously hit a large pothole at speed some years before. Oddly, back then I had it checked by a wheel alignment place with NFF. Then multiple wheel alignment places when the LF tyre outer would wear, again NFF. Why others who did much the same alignment couldn’t diagnose the issue I have no idea.

So get your wheel alignment checked by someone who will bother checking the secondary angles. As is, outside edge tyre wear can be caused by positive camber, caster and toe but if you see edge wear on one side, check the thrust and setback ;)

Also don’t dismiss bent chassis due to poor crash repair. Many manufacturers have dimensional underbody schematics with straight line measurements that can be used to check important suspension location points are where they should be :rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It has had a knock in the front at some point.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It has had a knock in the front at some point.

in my case it was some suspension work that had been done. not a knock.

you just need someone who actually knows what they are looking at.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah and there lies the problem, who to take it too in Launceston? Most workshops won't be able to easily identify the problem.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah and there lies the problem, who to take it too in Launceston? Most workshops won't be able to easily identify the problem.

If you want to follow @Skylarking 's suggestion of a truck place, have a chat to the guys at CJD in Launceston, Westbury Rd Prospectvale. They deal in Kenworth, DAF & Fuso trucks.

Can't guarantee they will help but can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.