Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front right tyre scrubbing

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

Well said !

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Vin I'm getting the impression you're getting tired of me talking about my mostly stock VR V6 ute?

3. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Sometimes I think he just makes up stories to here the sound of his own voice, so many replies to peoples issues yet cant even fix or diagnose his own car issues, as he said many of times his not mechanic and not good at fixing things but yet knows everything about everyone else's problems and can diagnose everyone's else's issues telling them how to fix it. Sounds like he nothing but a attention seeker going through old forums copying and pasting other people thunder to make him self look good. Well its is what it is and seems what it is. So many threads about his car and so much advise yet it goes on the backburner then comes out again asking for the same advise instead of fixing one issue at a time, like a kitten chasing a tail.

4. VPRob

VPRob Active Member

Members Ride:
    VP executive sedan V6
    Wow, a lotta dudes packing a lotta heat on the VR VS forum these days. I like to read/post on this forum cos a lot of it is relevant to me as a VP owner but it's a lot more peaceful (read boring, sometimes) on the VN VP forum.
    Feeling lucky? Go on punk. Make my day!

woteva, losh1971 and Lex like this.
  5. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

You could look at it from the same prospective I do with my own...Better the devil you know,, than the one you don't.....;)

Another thing I see with all your threads about your ute, is in the future people can scroll through and see what course of action you took and then they can decide whether to take the same course

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    StephenM and losh1971 like this.
  6. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    There seem to be a couple of members who seem to spend a lot of time baiting/trolling threads and not contributing anything useful. I've closed one thread this week so I'm putting it here and now, Trevor and Vin999, pull your heads in or find somewhere else to to post your rubbish.

StephenM, keith reed and woteva like this.
  7. VPRob

VPRob Active Member

Members Ride:
    VP executive sedan V6
    sometimes it's good to see things being policed!

StephenM and Skylarking like this.
  8. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    If only the health department had the same view... as self isolation isn’t strict enough to stop anything :oops:

What is being reported today? 2600 odd people coming off a ship from NZ where they later found some had CORVID19 :eek: and we expect every one of them will do the correct thing and self isolate in a correct manner... :oops:

Wasn’t there some infected nutcase in Japan that said he will go to pubs and spread COV2 wide and far? Luckily that arse wipe died ;)

Anyway, should get back to lashes Ute updates :oops:

StephenM likes this.
  9. woteva

woteva NEED 4 SPEED

Members Ride:
    VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
    Bent chassis or suspension ?
    Many years ago before I had a driver's licence, I can remember a friend's Dad marking chassis points with chalk and plumb Bob on the garage floor. My friends older brother had launched the HQ over a traffic island and up a gutter. Ended up with a cracked alloy rim and front chassis section requiring to be swapped.

With the chalk marks on the floor, it looked like an easy job to see where the problem was. HQJXZ Front chassis section replacement is all a bolt on job, no cutting and welding was required unlike a Commodore.

10. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Lets clarify, it's a cruise ship that departed and returned to Aussie and made a few stops in NZ.

StephenM and VS 5.0 like this.
  11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I would have thought if i had a bent something then the alignment would have shown it up as something out. They should be measuring caster and it should be out. Also if the wheels were not in line with the rears that should have been picked up too. Also even if it has a 3-5mm shunt to one side I wouldn't think it would cause scrubbing lowered cars don't necessarily scrub rears without an adjustable panhard. I think I mentioned it is always a little bit out every alignment, which in my small knowledge suggests a slightly TRE or rack end. This to me is the logical explanation. I don't know for sure but i would have thought if the issue was in the body or k frame it would affect both sides. I might be coming up to the country house for the whole Easter weekend so if i can get the tool in time i can knock out the TRE and report back. The other thing with the alignments each time they have been out the alignment has brought everything back into spec. So if a bend somewhere it doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  12. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I was not trying to laying blame on NZed in any way.

As I understood, people on the boat had flu like symptoms, which in my mind should have resulted in everyone on the boat being under enforced quarantine, either at home or somewhere else.

Rather, the health department or whoever was in charge, let everyone off the boat. Then they did a few tests of the sick people which came back positive. So they sent out a sms messages that all should self quarantine for 14 days. It’s poor handling and control being exhibited by the Australian government in this time where strong control is required.

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    You'd be surprised what isn’t picked up by some wheel alignment operators.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, compare left and right side measurements for the distance between front wheel centre to rear wheel centre... maybe someone else who has a VR Ute that doesn’t chew tyres can also do the same and you can then compare ;)

14. woteva

woteva NEED 4 SPEED

Members Ride:
    VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
    Had a wheel alignment done before taking my old LH Torana to Regency to have a lowered suspension defect notice removed a few years ago. The inspectors picked up a slightly bent steering arm and would not pass. Took it off and straightened it in a vice, wire wheel cleaned and painted it black. Wheel alignment done at a different place and passed no worries next inspection.

15. Vin999

Vin999 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vsedan
    A good wheel alignment operator would see if anything is bent when doing pre setup checks, so if you had a badly worn zbar bush would not do the alignment until you got that repaired. From my experience those that only sell tyres and w/a and not suspension work only road test for straight line steering wheel position.

The issue with early commodores and hits on front like pot hole or ditches is though there there may not be any chassis rail damage, the stut tower metal twists/distorts/flexes from the up/down impact on strut assembly and affects tyres and camber angles when cornering hard on bad camber roads and gravel/corogated. People I know who drag/circuit race stitch weld the engine bay rails/strut tower because of weak factory sheet metal seams. Even the old touring cars had under guard strut tower supports welded in for the weak suspension tower.

Also your car is old enough that it will always be some lil difference in accurate machine measurements just for being on the sheet roads we have and from new to old tyre wear. Nothing to really worry about if your suspension/steering is ok. Also if you change T/R you can do adjustment quite easily yourself at home and save money by using a broom handle pointer and tyre position chalk marks on the concrete floor in straight ahead position, its easy to learn.

16. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Just a little bit regarding adjustable panhard rods....They are generally used to keep the diff centred....ie, same gapping between the rear wheel arches on the horizontal plain....So really they just allow the car to drive straight as such and don't effect tyre wear and prevent the tyre on 1 side hitting the inner wheel arch, especially with lowered cars under cornering

Honestly, if the k-frame/body was the issue, I would suspect you would have a drift/pulling issue as well.....Please let us know if this does occur?

Caster.....As a general rule, this doesn't cause tyre wear issues......It generally causes the car to drift/pull one direction or the other.....The exception is, if the car pulls dramatically one direction or the other.....Again, advise if this occurs

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Car doesn't pull at all. I know a little about adjustable panhards as i used to have one on my last bus. My diff was a little off centre until i fitted the new panhard on that bus and it never pulled. If i had the right tool I'd slip off the TRE and report back today as I am home for the weekend.

18. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Away from the croissant crowds can be a good thing at the moment... just don’t catch anything otherwise you may be at home for 2 weeks :p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    losh1971 likes this.
  19. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Not having a pull, you could probably discount anything being bent.....

Why don't you try a 6LB sledge hammer on the side of the stub axle to drop the TRE? Can't hurt to give it a try whilst you are home, providing you have another TRE to fit up....Just a suggestion that might work and put your mind at rest earlier....:)

About 12 months ago (if that), I used a claw hammer to drop both of mine in the VC, by hitting the side of the axle area....They had been fitted for about 6 or 7 years

20. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Didn't know whey had a stub axle, they do however have a wheel hub connected (Bolted) on a steering knuckle..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.