Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front shocker replacement

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
So i want to replace my front dampeners with after market ones... I currently have lowered SL pedders springs on stock shocks and im aiming for a smoother ride.

After research on how to replace them i am confident to do it myself, although im not sure as to how the top part of the assembly comes off? when i open the bonnet there is only one bolt on each strut tower.... can that be right? every other car ive seen has the one in the middle and three around it, and these three are the ones you remove to separate the shock from the car (aside from the two bolts at the bottom of the strut). basically where are the bolts to remove it?

side note: Im looking at putting kyb excel-g gas shockies.. opinions? ride quality? --> rough/smooth/handling?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Yes, that one bolt on each strut tower will release the top part of the strut from the car, and then it's just the bolts holding the bottom part to the disc rotor assembly and it should come out.

I've typically gone bottom to top, that way you're not holding the weight of the strut when trying to remove the bottom bolts.

Also, being a long time user of only Monroe struts/shocks I can say that they're a very comfortable ride.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Yes, that one bolt on each strut tower will release the top part of the strut from the car, and then it's just the bolts holding the bottom part to the disc rotor assembly and it should come out.

I've typically gone bottom to top, that way you're not holding the weight of the strut when trying to remove the bottom bolts.

Also, being a long time user of only Monroe struts/shocks I can say that they're a very comfortable ride.

Perhaps you might also consider using a 'spring compressor' in order to remove spring tension to enable the retaining nuts to be safely removed. Such device can be readily purchased from SuperCheap etc. Make sure you only use a quality brand of good construction. They can disintegrate with nasty results. Have a look here for a picky Auto CAR Vehicle Steel Coil Spring Compressor Clamp Clamping Strut Tool KIT | eBay

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Smooth ride and Pedders dont fit in the same sentence. Get some King springs, and KYB shocks. I have driven in both KYB, and Monroe, and IMHO KYB ride better.
You need to do front and back to get the best benefit.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Any rough pricing for the KYB & Munro options?

If the price isn't too high, I might consider doing a suspension upgrade to my ute... Previously I've only really looked at stuff like Bilstein, Koni, etc etc etc where the pricing is around the $2400.00 mark supplied & fitted - That's with Eibach springs if memory serves correctly.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Any rough pricing for the KYB & Munro options?

If the price isn't too high, I might consider doing a suspension upgrade to my ute... Previously I've only really looked at stuff like Bilstein, Koni, etc etc etc where the pricing is around the $2400.00 mark supplied & fitted - That's with Eibach springs if memory serves correctly.

I think you need a new mechanic mate.

I purchased a spring/strut/shock package plus new strut top bearings for just under $900, quite easy to fit yourself if you have a spare day/friend that can help you.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
go boge, i've been in a KYB setup and it's not nearly as comfortable. Even on SSSL/SSL the ride is not that harsh

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6

Ok, but it if loosen the top single bolt will it merely release the suspension 'unit' from the car, not also unscrew the component which holds the spring in place? otherwise would i have to put spring clamps on the springs before removal when everything is still on the car? (if that even follows haha)

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
go boge, i've been in a KYB setup and it's not nearly as comfortable. Even on SSSL/SSL the ride is not that harsh

i have researched this a bit more and yes.. i will go with boge thank you very much for that input! only thing is apparently there called 'sachs' now hmmm

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi adam, when you take the nut off each strut the whole unit drops out. Then you will see another nut on each strut which holds the rubber bush, bearing and spring in place. When its on the bench or back lawn put the compressors on it and compress it before you undo that second nut. Then be carefull you dont spill the ball bearings all over the floor. Replace the strut top bush while its apart.