Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front speakers need weatherproofing?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have fitted 6.5" alpine splits by removing the original plastic mount and installing an mdf spacer. Sounds great very happy.

My question is - do the speakers need to be shielded from water inside the door? The original mounting has a plastic shield covering the top of the rear of the speakers. Is this necessary?

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
I have fitted 6.5" alpine splits by removing the original plastic mount and installing an mdf spacer. Sounds great very happy.

My question is - do the speakers need to be shielded from water inside the door? The original mounting has a plastic shield covering the top of the rear of the speakers. Is this necessary?

If you're getting water in your door you've got dodgey seals somewhere, other than that I've never seen any professional installs bother to cover them in plastic.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Why didn't you use the stock plastic spacer for the new speakers?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hahaha,

No.

As said above, so long as your door is sealed, you won't have a problem. And you are installing them in a VY, with lots more thought from the design team at Holden for sealing a door - say compared to a VB - VL door, that were never made for it.
If you want to, you can make a cover out of MDF and sound deadener.

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I covered the top of mine with sound deadener but I modified the plastic speaker pods to fit the 6.5s in flush so the cover on the rear was removed. Its all personal preference really

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I noticed what I thought were watermarks on the old speaker. Closer inspection and I'm pretty sure I do indeed have watermarks (drivers side only). Tested the seal - fail. Short of buying a new chrome moulding/seal strip (assuming I can) - can I repair the existing seal to make it work better?

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
I noticed what I thought were watermarks on the old speaker. Closer inspection and I'm pretty sure I do indeed have watermarks (drivers side only). Tested the seal - fail. Short of buying a new chrome moulding/seal strip (assuming I can) - can I repair the existing seal to make it work better?

Just go to holden, seals are like 10 bucks.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Will give it a go - assume the chome strip/seal is 1piece. What woul you call the part ? Door/Window seal strip thingy ??