Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Strut Issue

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
So the other day while looking under the bonnet I noticed that both the front strut tops seem to be sitting away from the body, what would have caused this?
The car is fitted with Bilstein Shocks and H&R Springs...
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I do believe this is how they sit.. I just went out and looked at my VR and its the same...
That rubber piece moves around as you turn the steering wheel..

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Well I just wanted to know if it was normal, or if there was something wrong.
I lowered the back of the car today, as the Bilstein shocks are adjustable, got the back 10mm lower, love it :)
But what I noticed, was the front gave different measurements.
Ground to wheel arch,
Drivers side: 690mm
Passenger side: just under 700mm

Again, this brings me back to the struts, with how the top is sitting....
But I just took measurements off mums car, stock suspension, her car is just under 10mm higher on the passenger side, like mine...

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Hmm, I can't be certain.. so Don't take my word on it..
Nice nice..
What I was reading online alot of people had the passenger side lower then the drivers? Might be to even out the weight when theres a driver? might just be weight in the car on one side... (etc spare tire on the side, sub on the side) or just a flaw..
Or even the drivers side.. Might just be weight.. :\

Those strut tops would be raised to move freely. I had my wheels turned once and had a look under the hood and it looked like the thing was bent.. but realized it was because of the way the wheel was..

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
over time the bearing plate will compress, making the retainer plate raise away from the strut tower, it will compress a bit quicker when its lowered because of the higher spring and shock rate, as this is the main place for give in the front strut, the bearing plate compresses changing the height of the front of the car, some times as much as 15mm.
and as gothickidd said the drivers side idealy should be a tad higher because there is always weight (as in driver) in that side of the car and when the drivers in it it will level out more.
jim also better off measuring from the centre of the rim/hub because it gives you a more accurate hight reading than measureing from the ground because you might have a bit less air pressure in one tyre than the other or it might have different size tyres, the hub is always in the same spot.

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Strut top mounts have collapsed. It happens and will happen quicker with firmer suspension.
I had mine replaced not to long ago. Used Pedders heavy duty rubber ones.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said strut top bushes collapsed, very common on VEs and you generally replace the bearings inside the bushes at the same time.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
glenn l,
In regards to the measurements that I've taken, I've taken measurements from the ground and the hub, and variation from each side of the car is identical, regardless of what point I take the measurement from.

I would understand if the drivers side was slightly higher than the passenger side, to allow for the weight of the driver etc, but this is the passenger side that's higher, the drivers side is lower.

If the strut top bushes have collapsed, I guess I better book it in to get them replaced.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Any more on this old thread?

I have just replaced the struts on my WH with new GMs (and new bearings too) and I am also noticing that my retainer plates are also sitting up away from the towers like those pictured in BigJim92's opening post.
What lead me to look was that the steering is all of a sudden creaking as I turn left to right and hope they are related.

Before I rush out and buy replacements and dive under with my tools, is this collapsed bushings theory confirmed? Thanks. :)

PS, Just noticed I posted in the VE section. I found this thread via the on-site Google search. Is there a non-Google search that is this just this website-specific?

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Yep.. Collapsed bushing. Thanks Tommo_27. :beer chug:
GM part number 92292199 and on back order so a lot of dealers don't have, and can't get stock from GM -only through other dealers if they are associated.
I grabbed these today from Doncaster Holden for $50 each and they include the bearings. That's about $20-30 cheaper than non-genuine through Repco.
olnw.jpg

Here's my old and the new. Collapsed? Yes!
3pu5.jpg

The retainer plate is sitting on the tower as it should be and no more creaking noises as I turn the steering wheel. :spot on:
f0u0.jpg