Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front strut tops replaced and Rear shocks replaced....do I need a wheel alignment?

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
Hi all, I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a 08 VE, about 1 month ago I got a wheel alignment done on it before it went into the mechanics. I know but back the front but didn't think it needed to go into the Mechanic since I just bought the car. So then I had the Mechanic replace the front strut tops as they where worn and seizing and Rear shocks. But My steering wheel is slightly crooked to the right, and I feel a very slight play in steering wheel when turning corners. I can feel that there's pulling more to the left. I rang the same guy I had my previous recent wheel alignment done, and he says give it a month to see if there's any tyre wear before I think of putting it for another wheel alignment????.. I've been reading that any suspension work especially struts need a wheel alignment. My mechanic didn't mention it to me and the wheel alignment guy says wait it out see what happens....

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It always pays to have your alignment checked after the struts have been out, or your rear dampers replaced.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well if the steering wheel to the right then it will want to center it self to the left, all roads have a crown to the left too. U most have a good mechanic.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The "play" in the steering is what would be troubling me. If it was not there before the work was done then I'd be going back to the mechanic and asking him to remedy. The alignment shop also should have done a few basic checks and recommended getting any work done before doing said alignment as otherwise it is a waste of your time and money.

A wheel alignment after major suspension work is recommended. Having said that, removing (only) the strut would primarily effect caster/camber and then only a little which wouldn't greatly effect steering geometry. This would suggest that said mechanic has removed or loosened off more than just simply removing the struts.