Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front struts

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Ute S1 / VX Executive Sedan S2
Hi everybody - thanks for all the advice you having given me, it has really helped me and I have found out that I do like working on my cars (it's just the money that stops me) but I have another question. I have to replace my front struts in my VR ute - which way should I go? Again, money is a factor for me (as everyone) but any advice would be appreciated. My springs look like they're pretty good nick, so I don't think I will need to replace them.
Cheers again everyone.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I must admit I always bought brand new ones over the years, but as of late I've found quite a few cars at U-Pull-it that have had new struts fitted just prior to being sent to their death and thus for my sons car I removed a set of 2 month old units and paid $50 for the pair opposed to well over a hundred at Sprint Auto Parts.

The only problem you might have is requiring a spring compressor set.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you replace the struts do it right, get new bushes, bearings, bumpstops and boots. When you replace boots try to find rubber ones that cable tie on. Some like mine flop around and move up and down because they are plastic.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Springs normally last for decades unless you really it. Always get decent shocks cos cheap ones are junk.
KYB ExcelG, Pedders Comfort or Red sports Ryder's, Sachs, or Monroe GT sport. I like to fit 'sports' gas shocks rather than base model stuff because they are firmer and you get more for your money.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I did shocks and springs all around in my VR (sedan w/ irs)
But honestly, I should have spent more on shocks and re-used the stock springs.
As greenacc says, springs last for decades.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
The only reason one would change springs is if the vehicle is showing signs of sagging which is most noticeable when the vehicle has been used as a full time tower of heavy loads.

Apart from that springs should never require changing, just the shocker and strut assemblies as Deuce suggested

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you replace the struts do it right, get new bushes, bearings, bumpstops and boots. When you replace boots try to find rubber ones that cable tie on. Some like mine flop around and move up and down because they are plastic.
Losh, can't you put a cable tie on the plastic ones? I thought they were all plastic

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Losh, can't you put a cable tie on the plastic ones? I thought they were all plastic
there are rubber ones that cable tie on. The plastic ones i have wont stretch enough to tie off top and bottom.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The only reason one would change springs is if the vehicle is showing signs of sagging which is most noticeable when the vehicle has been used as a full time tower of heavy loads.

Apart from that springs should never require changing, just the shocker and strut assemblies as Deuce suggested
My car actually sat a little higher with new shocks/springs. I asked for stock FE2 height as well. So either they had sagged a little, or they were a fraction lower because of a previous owner mod.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
My car actually sat a little higher with new shocks/springs.

I'll have to say that all the spring manufacturers don't get the OEM specifications absolutely correct. I've seen many so called FE2 springs sets sit higher than they actually should.

I'm sure you know Deuce, but for many newer owners benefit here, Springs govern ride height and not shockers. Shockers only dampen a springs action.

So many times I've heard people say that they have to change their struts / shocks due to sagging suspension which oddly many suspension shops will overly play on so as to extract big cash out of one's pocket. Many times a spring will have failed due to overloading of the vehicle but nothing is wrong with the actual strut or shocker. They seem to like to sell a full set of everything and then all the labour of the job itself.