Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Suspension Knock

• Thread starter clintonhadenham
  • Start date

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I may be able to help you here because I have a similar problem with my WH statesman (standard ride height) - a knock coming from somewhere near the driver's side front wheel. It's most noticeable when going over speedhumps, potholes or into driveways (i.e. particularly those when I turn right). My trusted mechanic was able to give a tentative diagnosis after a short drive - worn radius rod bushes. To confirm it he had another mechanic look at the car side-on while he did repeated short hard braking (i.e. looked like bunnyhopping). The other guy confirmed the wheel was moving forwards and backwards by up to 50mm relative to the wheel arch each time the brake was applied (which was when the "knock" was occurring). Apparently those worn bushes are a reasonably common problem in commodores of all vintages. Anyway, the fault was diagnosed before I bought the car and I managed to get the front bush replaced free of charge. The knock is now quieter but it's still there so I'll get the rear bush replaced and let you know how I go.

Mark.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
If you have replaced your shocks with catrage inserts at any point, check the tightness of the nut that holds the catrage inside the cylinder. Mine came loose a while back and the knock was clear as.

H

heat1

If I am not mistaken if you have a coil that is a lot shorter than normal and your shock travel is not shorter ie shockes for smaller coils the coil can on extreem movements actualy move loose and knock about but in your case not actually fall out or if they cant handle the weight they might be even binding up and giving out a noise. very bad on the rear shocks I saw a guy geting new tyres today on his vu GTS and he had to hold his rear coil in place while lowering the jack real good haveing them just fall out at speed over a bump. I believe you can get the shorter shocks to stop this trouble but if your fronts are just not strong enough and they are hitting on the stops or just binding well? The way to go is the adustable struts that have spring length nuts on a thread to compress a more powerfull coil just like on motorcycles. Hight Adjustables..they make em right in the first place and guys like you and me want to stuff arround with it and then wonder why it suxs!

C

clintonhadenham

Finally got it fixed this morning. It turned out to be the bold on the top of the shocky! Thankyou everyone who has given me their advice.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
Fury With The Vl

My car is doing the same thing i get a knocking noise coming from the front end while turning going over bumps and when i break, its got me puzzeled becoz one person thinks its the power steering rack, the other person thinks its the struts, wht should i do. Plus my radiator stuffed up now my baby is stuck in the drive way waiting for repairs,

Last edited:

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Bold ontop of the shock? what the heck is that?

4POSTER VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu spack
g'day ive got a similar problem with my vu spack it has been lowerd but only slightly, it's pretty random acctualy when im driving and turn the steering wheel slightly left or right it makes a knocking noise, but when i take it to the mechanics and they test drive it the ute desides to go all shy. it's drivin me insane with it's random knocking that sounds like theres a gremlin under my ute knocking away!!!!!!! any suggestions to my gremlin problem would be much appreciated :p cheers!! chris.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
link arm bushes or ball joints.

Sketchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV WHII Grange
lowering car and trying to eliminate suspension problems

guys lowering the grange and trying to find what is knocking in my front end whilst doing it, also a novice.
I have circled a part in red of the steering that has some play in it. When I wobble the wheel back and forth there it is, knocking. Can anyone please let me now if this is normal or needs replacing? Im guessing the simple answer is, replace if there is any play in the steering or suspension. also the name of the part to be replaced would be great.

Front20End20220-20detail1_zps83ee5315.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Sure it's not your exhaust hitting the panhard rod at the back? It's a common problem once the l is lowered.
I know your saying front but grab exhaust and shake it