Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FRONT WHEEL Brake NOISE - me and my mechanic cant find source of noise. help???????

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
my 97 vs has been making this noise for quite some time. it is coming from the front wheels on both sides

i have had the rotors machined, brake pads replaced. all this checked by a trusty mechanic. me and my mechanic have been trying to find the cause of the noise but he couldn't find it. it only seems to make the noise when driving on the road.

the noise is a high pitched clicking noise and stops as soon as the brakes are applied. it seems to be more noticeable wen turning either right or lift, slightly or sharp. my mechanic said everything looks fine, bearing dont need replaced, rotors dont need replaced. we just dont know.

its been bugging me for ages.

has anyone had this problem and if so did they ever get it fixed.

Lance2560

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6exec
im probably wrong, but it sounds to me the clips on the brake pads are rubbing on the dics rotor's themselves, check and make sure your pads arn't rubbing anywhere.

Last edited:

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
nah mate the clips are tucked underneath the caliper tight. thats where they are suppossed to be right?

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
the slide pins on the calipers are possibly rattling. either replace or lubricate them, if that is the concirn, other wise it could be the pads rattling in the calipers

bandidoben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon
try have a look at the metal guard on the back of the rotor. mine was rubbing slightly and made a similar noise. just bent it in a bit and the noise went away :)

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
yeh me mechanic checked that the metal guard wasnt rubbing and that was all good. the caliper does seem a bit loose wen i put it on tight. like i can move it a tiny bit. could it be that the brake pads are rattling like moff man said. how can i fix that

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
sounds agricultural but glue the pads to the caliper, there are products on the market that do this

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
1+ for the guide pins being worn or the grease being all dried up - I had similar issues with the brakes on my VS when I first got it
Ended up replacing the guide pins as they were only around $6 each so $24 for both sides, also use silicon brake grease can get from REPCO etc, quick and easy job to replace soolve all my brake noise while driving along

Chris