Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front wheel noise.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
i know its a long shoot at picking it as u cant hear it but its a noise that accoures at slow speeds its like a squeek, its from the front wheels and im not sure what it is,
my old vl did it and i askd a machanic about it and he said it was common and named the fault but after a year i have for got what he said.

soon i will b jacking the car up to have a close look so will have details on what i see, any thing i should look at inpaticular?

themantiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
brake pad condition and alignment, disc runout and wheel bearing condition, i think mine was one of those :)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
disc and pads are fine, is there any way of checking the bearing?
or is it one of those if u think its it change it bearings

G

Grantis1976

I drove a VK once that did the same thing, it belonged to a friend, so we jacked the car up, and found that the wheel bearings were fubared, and this was causing the wheel to not be on the correct angle........thus causing the brake caliper to take the strain of keeping the wheel upright. Same affect as the hub nut coming loose due to lack of split pin.

Good Luck !!! :thumbsup:

He was just a man, we thought was god...the name was Brock :rip:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
its 10 bucks a side to replace the bearings and about 5 for the seals if they are stuffed... its not very hard to do at all

one thing you should look for is runout, also remove the split pin and tighten the nut, then back it off a tiny bit and see if it helps. if not then new bearings and grease needs to be done

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
well its getting worse might have to do it real soon,
the kits are 25 bucks with bother inner and outter bearing aswell as the seal, but there is one thing stoping me to do it my self or not......
i have had all the disc off and stuff on the front before so its not hard but im just unsure weather or not a extracor is need to remove the inner bearings from the inside of the disc, i was told this by my dad and wasnt sure.
so do i need 1, is there anyway i can do it. or can i buy a tool,
call me cheap but i just cant settle with the idea of paying 160 bucks to do both front sides if i could do it with ease and only for 50bucks

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
The bearing race (the part of the bearing that is in the middle of the disc) needs to be hammered or pressed out. Preferably with a tool that is softer than the disc itself so it isn't damaged.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
what would u reckonmend for doing that, rubber mallet or would that be to soft, screwdriver and hammer and hit on the shell working around it?
any ideas witha tool that is soft enough but works well

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
an easy way to check the wheel bearing is to jack the car up with the wheel on and put a hand on the top and bottom and see if it rocks, if it does, take a look behind the hug to see if anything is moving while you are rocking the wheel, if nothing is loose then its your wheel bearings.

to get the bearings out take off the grease cap, and remove the split pin, (should be a castellated nut, of a castle cap) and undo the nut, the hug will now come off (caliper must be off to do that). use a chisel or a punch, and tap the shell out of the hub, left right left right, untill it comes out, and when you put the new one in, do it the same way bit softer taps, make sure they are even or it wont make all the way and be very very hard to get out without damaging the hub.
You'll know when it is in all the way, the sound will change when you are hittign the shell. its quite easy to do.
might want to get someone to give you a hand with tightening the nut tho.
you first tighten it all the way until it is a bit past firm, then rotate the wheel, spin it. While its spinning loosen off and tighten the nut, rock it tight and loose while the wheel is spinning, then back the nut off 1 hex, 15 degrees.

if your not sure on that get someone to help you, or pm me if you like.