Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Wheel Wobble Car Shudder Help

jolea682

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL AUTO
HI, CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR
STARTED WITH SLIGHT WOBBLE IN FRONT WHEEL, NOW CAR REALLY, REALLY SHUDDERS WHEN I REACH CERTAIN SPEED AROUND 80KM, AND STEERING JUST DON'T FEEL RIGHT, THERE IS LIKE A GRINDING AND WHIRRING NOISE FROM WHEEL :unsure: QUITE SCARY, COULD THIS JUST BE BEARINGS, HAVE A LITTLE MONEY SAVED, BUT DON'T WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF BY MECHANIC, PLEASE HAS ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS, THANKS HEAPS

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Hi:)

Just do some basic checks first but be safety conscious too.

Check that the wheel nuts are all on tight and are correctly seated on the wheel studs. Check that the threads aren't damaged and there's no wear.

If you haven't checked the wheel bearings for a while this could be the problem too, so just raise one wheel at a time (make sure the car is chocked and can't fall off the jack) just clear of the ground, grasp the centre of the tyre with both hands and try topull the whel towards you and away from you too see if there is much movement. Spin each wheel and listen for any noises.

Ok, you've probably done this but sometimes the problems are quite basic, we tend to think of the worst so kep ya chin up.

Anyway, start at the basics and then get back to us and we can help some more.

If it's the bearings they can be replaced quite easily by yourself; sometimes stores have cheap rotors, and bearings plus pads so sometimes you can buy the whole lot and fix it your self, it's not hard to do, (Then you will have good bearings and brakes) you basically pull all the stuff off the front stub axels, toss that in the bin and refit all the new stuff.

Anyway, it maybe just an easy problem to fix like repacking the bearings adjusting the wheel nut:thumbsup:

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Might just need a wheel alignment? Not sure about the grinding, but mine shuddered like crazy at about 90 before I got an alignment...

EDIT - mines a VN - didn't notice what forum I was in :D