Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front window adjustment VX

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
A few years ago I replaced my stock power window regulators with aftermarket Kelpro units.

The reason for this was the mechanic claimed they were worn. I was chasing a rattle, you know the story, changed seals, change belt moldings, made adjustments. Found out later it had nothing to do with any of those and was the bumper in the mechanism itself rubbing (most online forums have this fix wrong).

But anyway, from day one of new window motors, they were noisy and slow, the Drivers side being worse. They lubed them up as per normal, I pulled door trims off to check, added even more, and even given time over the years, they haven't gotten any better, perhaps worse.

I recently picked up a VZ run-around, barely been serviced or looked after, original everything and the windows are amazing and make my pride and joy VX look (or sound) terrible.

So is there any actual adjustment in the setup, or found a way to make them quieter/faster if you had a noisy, slow motor?

I have a few scans of the Holden window regulator assembly setup, and apart from order of operation, there isn't really any obvious tweak points. I can't see anywhere that the glass is rubbing too much and it doesn't speed up or slow down, it's just noisy in general. If I knew replacing them Again would fix it then I would have, except it ruined my window tint when they taped the glass up during install, and I'd end up with the same again if taken elsewhere, no doubt! Ideas? thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
There are no real adjustments that can be made as far as I know.
The rattle you were chasing could have been worn nylon runners.
Did you replace all four motors? If so I doubt that that would have been necessary because in most cases it is really only the driver's window that gets a workout.
My car has done 426,000 kms and I nearly always open my window when driving except for when it's raining and winter and apart from replacing the nylon runners in both front widows all the windows run quietly and smoothly.

If your new motors were noisy and sluggish from day one maybe they were just not good enough.
Maybe going back to genuine will fix your issues.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
As mentioned, I know now exactly what the rattle was after the fact and it did not require a regulator change as suggested by someone I assumed might know something. They didn't. Holden even replaced the nylon runners, I told them it wasn't the problem. And it wasn't and the rattle was there before I left their driveway. You'd assume they may have known something, it was probably given to the apprentice to play door trims with.

So that still comes back to if it can no longer be adjusted to run quietly and not slow, then I'm up for replacements again, and was up for replacements the minute they were swapped as they were no good. I'm not sure any other brands make them other than GM and Kelpro, I'm sure there's countless that didn't have an issue.

Dak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
So, what was the cause of the rattle originally? My VX drivers windows rattles and it drives me nuts, I've tried all the usual things.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Depends on the rattle type, window position.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The problem, of many, is that the window motors seem to be perfect on anyone elses car. They are not cheapies, they were nearly as much as genuine without the price gouge. They don't have a reputation of being noisy or slow, otherwise you'd just live with it knowing it was a feature.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Has anyone else used Kelpro front power window regulators? Were they slow and noisy?