Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel additive

morley46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman. 1978 HZ Statesman.
In the long time ago i used to put in a fuel additive in my HZ Statesman every time i fueled up. Anyone still do this and if so what is a good brand?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Does valve saver actually do anything all the blokes I know that used heaps of it ended up getting inserts in the valve seats anyway. All the money they spent on valve saver would of paid for valve job . Not a hard job to do the heads on a red motor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't bother, I'd just let them smack the seats out and get the heads overhauled when the engine needs it with better valves and seats. 308 Holden are pretty good on price to get engine work done, parts wise anyway. Plus like Boozer said fairly straight forward on HZ.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
In the long time ago i used to put in a fuel additive in my HZ Statesman every time i fueled up. Anyone still do this and if so what is a good brand?
the old additive was the upper cylinder lubricant to stop the valve seals hardening/cracking/leaking mostly due to the old fuels like standard petrol without any additives like super had., basically a oil compound for lube, especially when using lpg or E85. Service stations used to add a small amount at no expense when you fueled up full at your local. Could have been an old wynns/red x brand ???? It was red in colour.
There were other products but they were an oil treatment added (friction modifier) to lubricate cylinder walls for wear and tear. Can't remember the names of the old brands, but have used and seen them work ok for the added $$ expense.
Nowadays better seals are used plus we have better fuels like 98, if your running just straight cheaper dirtier 91 you could add an injector/carby cleaner in tank, it just raises octane in fuel to clean sheet of sensors/injectors, but a tank of dearer 98 would do the same thing.