Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel and your VE

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Owners manuals usually make a generic comment like minimum of 91.

The octane rating refers to the ability to resist ignition under compression. Ethanol fuels have an Ron (relative octane number)

The ecu with help of the knock sensors will determine the ignition timing. If you put 91 in your tank the ecu will be forced to advance the spark to prevent knocking, however this reduced efficiency. Whereas if you run a higher octane fuel the ecu can ignite it closer to tdc increasing the engines efficiency. (ignition timing is also adjusted for other factors such as emissions but that's not as much related to the fuel you use)

While ethanol is very good ay resisting ignition under compression, ethanol has a much lower energy density than octane.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Owners manuals usually make a generic comment like minimum of 91.

The octane rating refers to the ability to resist ignition under compression. Ethanol fuels have an Ron (relative octane number)

The ecu with help of the knock sensors will determine the ignition timing. If you put 91 in your tank the ecu will be forced to advance the spark to prevent knocking, however this reduced efficiency. Whereas if you run a higher octane fuel the ecu can ignite it closer to tdc increasing the engines efficiency. (ignition timing is also adjusted for other factors such as emissions but that's not as much related to the fuel you use)

While ethanol is very good ay resisting ignition under compression, ethanol has a much lower energy density than octane.

thanks for trying to add some facts (a little jumbled) but your efforts are appreciated.

eggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
I'm getting 13.0l/100km from my SV6, ave speed of 40kph I use Caltex 95.

No idea if that's any good or not, but I do get less mpg from E10, when the Mrs has filled it up.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Last tank in mine was 10.4 per 100 with an average speed of 75km/h. Cammed auto ssv on liquid injected LPG. $8.32 per 100km, cheap motoring :)

DeadxPatriot

What now?
Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GT
My VE likes fuel.

If you've got a V6, then dont cry. It could be worse.

I get 13.5 or something like that around town per 100km and i use 98 octane.

Can get to canberra-sydney-canberra on one tank on the freeways.

Thats really good IMO.

ctravm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I have a 2011 V8 with Walkinshaw exhaust and CAI. I generally get between 13 - 15l/100 around town averaging about 45. Its at the higher end if my wife drives it as she just can't help herself (and wonders why she gets the tickets???).

Recently did a trip from Canberra to Sydney and got 8.2l/100 sitting on 113 kph on the freeway. Did a little driving around Sydney west and returned to Canberra on the same tank with an overall average of 9.1. Always use 98. Its a lot better than what my 2006 V6 Caprice used to get.

LuminaME

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE Lumina 3.6L
07 V6,
once in all highway 700km trip, I got lower than 9L/100km.
on my regular drives it averages around 12L/100km (combined highway-city)... When I get hard on pedal for some fun it goes up to 13s, if I get smoother trafic it moves down toward 11.5L/100km

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
My mower and whipper snipper cant run on e10 lol...

This is the fuel consumption in my v6.. not being a economical driver either lol. Just got plugs changed and its already going down on fuel :)

Edit: Blue dotted line is fuel consumption.. seemed to go up when I got the exhaust.. I just like the sound of it :)

What iPhone app is that? I'd like to start tracking my fuel/car usage...