Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel breather hose?

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Okay ill do my best at explaining, i pulled the fuel tank out of the car cause all of the breather hoses have perished. I just need to know what goes where. There are two on the front side of the tank, one into internal fuel pump and the other fuel return. two on top of tank that go into the charcoal canister and then into the fuel filler tube thing (forget the name) but there is one line that sits in the rear wheel arch and i have no idea where that connects to. any info would be greatly appreciated i need the car running asap

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
does this help?

Attachments

• evaporative system2.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,929

HeyIKnowYou

Reaction score
Members Ride
87-88 Calais executive
Hey I just found this problem yestie, all my hoses hav died with age. I stumbled across this problem while searching for the cause of lots of fuel smells coming from that spot on my car and a damp patch on that little ledge behind the tire. If all these pipes were open like on my car can fuel leak out of them say when I'm turning a corner or going over a bump? If not could anyone explain what are the functions of all the bits in the diagram? Thanks.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
if the fuel tank is full it is possible to lose a small amount of fuel through the breather hose connections on top of the tank (not the ones in the pic above, on the filler)
these hoses are part of the evaporative system, the fuel system is pressureised and when driving the fuel sloshes about creating vapour/gases these are then passed through those hoses and into the canister on the right side of the engine near the power steer reservoir at various times the then are put back through the plenum chamber and through the engine rather than into the atmosphere in all it is part of the engine emission control system to help save the planet.
another possibility for the wet patch is that your fuel filler pipe has cracked where it joins to the tank.

HeyIKnowYou

Reaction score
Members Ride
87-88 Calais executive
I'm not really sure if there's loss of economy, it's pretty bad tho. Yesturday I did 100kms and went from half to 1/4. And I was only doen 90-100 along the highway. But mmm, I'm
trying to order in some new hoses so I'll just attach em back up again. Only one problem is there is one hose that comes out from on top of the tank and i can't get to it, but I'll just leave that one.
If someone could give me a rough idea on how much fuel they use per 100kms? Cause mine just seems too much.

Thanks, Mick.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
this job often has to be done as holden used cheap nasty plastic hoses that rot fairly quickly, also check the fuel cap which should be non vented, its usually plastic and eventually cracks

SL84vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 vk Commodore
I know this post if from a few while ago but what’s the go with fuel lines at the rear that are connected to the fuel filler... mine have rotted over time an I can’t seem to find anything anywhere on where to get new ones... i’ve found completely noting on this only a diagram on how to connect it all up...
I just need some sort of help on where to get new lines for the rear
Is there any chance someone could help it would be much appreciated as of it’s been doing my head in the past mouth or so An not finding anything on it or finding new lines...
Even if someone’s done there own up grade an hooked up there own set up... any info will help heaps !!
Cheers